Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Somethings Cookin'

Options
Ranger1
Ranger1 Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A Big Green howdy do to everyone! I have been on the Wilderness First Responder Training road for over a week now and I'm in serious need of a day off in order to cook on my old egg. Well, the day off had arrived and in just a bit, I'm out the door and on to the Food Lion. I'll keep you "posted," (what a terrible pun) on what's cookin a little later on.....Have a great day! R1

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Ranger 1,[p]I've been itchin' to egg also. The wife has been on somewhat of a "no red meat" kick lately and I really cant blame her, we've been eating a ton of it and all of it cooked on the egg. So, were now on the "chicken and other stuff" phase of cooking on the egg, new territory for me somewhat. I've done some chicken breasts and pork chops but not a full bird yet. I have a pork loin brining in the refrigerator, plan on doing it this weekend (I know, still red meat or the "other white meat" or whatever that quote is) but I couldnt help myself after the last week of brining posts, I had to try it. I also have a pack of chicken thighs in the fridge, will probably do something with those this evening. Too much to cook, so little time. Keep us posted on what you decide.[p]Troy
  • Ranger1
    Options
    sprinter, Ah the supreme dilemma! I decided on 3 racks of ribs for supper tonight. Started them about 1pm, nice and slow:175*. Cooking on a raised rack and will leave em alone until time to slap on my kids favorite Q sauce.
    You may remember, around Thanksgiving, I posted that I had been placed on EGG probation; not a happy place at all, so go easy on the EGGIN and keep changing the menu! Have a great weekend and I'll catch up to you later. I'll be working this weekend, so I probably won't be crusin the forum much, but you can bet I'll be thinking about all of you! Later, R1

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Ranger 1,
    Wow, that is slow!! You gonna let the temp creep up over 200?? Curious to hear how long they take.[p]Wilderness Training? Was it a search and rescue training?? Survival? [p]Enjoy your ribs. Babybacks go on at 4 oclock!! Yeeee HAAA!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Ranger1
    Options
    Nature Boy, Yep, I did let it creep eventually, but not until after about 4 hours. I cooked the ribs a total of 5.5 hours and sauced them the last 30 min. or so. Juicy and powerful good! No bones about it!
    Good luck on those babes and have a great weekend.
    The training was a Wilderness First Responder medical course. I helped teach the class and most of the people taking the course serve on our Mountain Search and Rescue Team. Excellent training for those folks that hunt fer other folks in the backcountry! :)) R1

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Ranger 1,
    The babybacks were spectacular. 225-250 dome, in rib rack.
    3.5 hours, and lots of naked bones laying on the plate now!![p]Sounds like great training. I was rescued from Dolly Sods in West Virginia a couple years back on New Years eve. I have 20 plus years of backpacking experience, but 3 feet of snow in a day was a little tricky! Drifts were over 6 feet. Fun stuff.[p]I will try your slow, slow rib technique next. They sound great. What was your dome temp when you pulled them off??[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Ranger1
    Options
    Nature Boy, Wow, that's a bunch of snow. You should come south the next time you get the winter camping urge. We'll freeze you to death, but cut you significant slack on the snowdrifts![p]My dome temp was up to 285* when I finally pulled the ribs. Honestly, I think the flavor was better in these ribs than any other I've cooked. Get this, the only thing I put on the meat was seasonsalt and black pepper! A little Q sauce the last 30 min. R1

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Ranger 1,
    The ribs sound perfect. Started low, and slowly stepping up after the fat is rendered off. Hmmm. Amazing how many ways there is to arrive at perfection!![p]As far as camping, I love the cold. Single digits, or below zero is okay with me. That amount of snow was a little tough to move in though. The 2 mile hike from camp to the truck with a big pack and chest-high snow was a struggle, but we didn't get stranded until we tried to drive out. [p]The 30 hour wait for the rescue was the hardest part. Nightmare trip, but awesome memories. Bottom line is you gotta let people know where you are going!! Glad we at least did that.[p]Wish I wudda had an egg and a big ol butt! We could have served up pulled pork to the search and rescue people when they got up there at 7 pm new years eve! Can you imagine their faces??[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com