Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can a butterball be brined?????

Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
They have such good deals on butterballs this week, .69 per pound, I have a coupon for 1.00 off on top of that. Just not sure if a butterball turkey can be brined or now and am NOT going to cook one unless brined.[p]Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Sandi, wander back down the threads as I raised the identical question a couple weeks ago. There was quite a discussion and bottom line, the answer is yes. Those who were against it were outnumbered. ^oo^~

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Sandi,
    I just called the butterball hot line and asked, they said yes but best to use a fresh turkey.
    www.butterball.com if you care to look at their web site.
    New Bob

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Sandi,[p]I'll brine a Butterball anytime. As a matter of fact, next Wednesday will be the next time. This one (like most of ours) will be a frozen turkey.[p]Enjoy the bird.
    Puj

• Sandi,[p]I just got off the phone with a helpful "home economist" from the Butterball Talk Line (1-800-BUTTERBALL). According to her, the rumor that the turkeys are injected with butter
    isn't exactly true. Up until about 3 years ago, their turkeys were injected with a buttery-textured sauce, but now their fresh turkeys are "all-natural" while their frozen products are injected with a vegetable-based broth. So, it looks like the answer to the question is this: If you get a frozen one that is "self-basting" or injected with the broth, brining will not help you. However, if you get a fresh, unadulterated bird, brine away![p]MikeO

• Puj
    MikeO,[p]Have to disagree about brining a frozen Butterball. If you haven't done so, try it sometime. I think you'll be pleased with the outcome.[p]Puj
  • BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Puj,
    I'm going to give this a try on Friday to cook a test, pre-thanksgiving day this saturday. Can you send me some details on Brining and cooking. I have a Med. BGE. Thanks.Bob

• Puj
    BobbyG,[p]Here's a link to the PDK Bird. The recipe will provide you the preparation, setup and cook for a brined turkey in the Egg. I'm assuming that you'll do a normal size turkey (12 to 14 LBS). The times and temperatures are applicable for a turkey 12 LBS and up. You can keep it very simple, or you can go through the trouble to prepare the bird as the recipe instructs. In a separate reply I'll provide a link to the an article about brines published a couple of years ago in the SF Chronicle.[p]Feel free to email me with additional questions.[p]Puj
    [ul][li]Eggtoberfest 2000 Turkey[/ul]
  • Puj
    BobbyG,[p]Here's the link to the article about brines.
    [ul][li]Ready for Brine Time[/ul]
  • BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Puj,
    Thanks very much for your feedback !! I'll let you know how it turns out. Bob

• Sandi
    Sandi Posts: 107
    BobbyG,[p]If you're planning on doing da Puj's recipe for Turkey Eggfest 2000...you're gonna LOVE it! I tried it several months ago and got aboslute RAVES! I was just concerned about brining a butterball turkey. Now that the consensus feels it's fine, I'm using da Puj's recipe for my T-day turkey! Enjoy!