Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

XL ribs

edited 10:42AM in EggHead Forum
any recomendations for smoking two racks of ribs on the xl. most people i know like to put a water pan under the grate, but on the xl there is not enough room between the plate setter and the grate. would the cider spritz be enough to keep moist. Please help. Need to produce some good ribs for football sunday.

Comments

• dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    XL New,
    You can't squeeze in a foil oven liner type container? I never do water under ribs, spritzing works just fine for me.[p]H

• XL New,
    I have heard that you can put the platesetter between the firebos and the fire ring and it will work.[p]Brett

• WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    XL New,
    If you look in the cooks section of my website at the "pulled pork on the XL" entry...you will see the setup I use on my XL made by "TJV" aka Sandbagger...( http://www.eggaccessories.com/ )....
    this works excellent for ribs also...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • mr.bmr.b Posts: 75
    <a href=
    <p />XL New,i use a 16 inch pizza pan with a 1 inch lip and let the grate set right on top of the pan. it works fine for ribs and abts that i did last week.
  • eggfooteggfoot Posts: 138
    I use my xl to do ribs most of the time and like using it very much. Buster Dog and I took 2nd in ribs last weekend at a comp using the xl and we did not use a drip pan. Just keep the temp between 225 and 250, I like to spritz about every 30 to 45 min lightly. place them on the grate bone side down and I like to use apple wood for smoke. Cook them until the whole rack of ribs starts to bend when you pick them up with tongs. Sauce for the last 30 min or so.
  • Sounds good. Direct or Indirect? Thx

• eggfooteggfoot Posts: 138
    Gerogia Dawg, Indirect for sure.

biggreeneggforum005.jpg
    <p />mr.b ,just trying a test photo. i see the photo in my preview but when i posted i get a little red x in a little square inside of another square above the text and no photo. what causes this?

biggreeneggforum006.jpg
    <p />XL New, don`t know if you can see the first post pic so i am trying it again.