Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pot Roast in Dutch Oven

Options
DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 361
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought I saved the recommendation/post that one of the sage forum members gave me for using my cast iron dutch oven to make a pot roast. Must not have.[p]Best I can remember, this is the spin: I have a small (1.8 lb) chuck roast. Perfect fit for my 5 qt Lodge. I'm going to put liquid, veggies, meat and seasonings in it from the beginning, then onto the Egg at about 350° for 3 or 4 hours. Aside from adding liquid during the cook (if necessary), is there anything else I have to do? Think that temp and time is appropriate?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03421a.jpg
    <p />DynaGreaseball,[p]Are you planning on seasoning it, and putting it on the cooker for a while to pickup some color & flavor before going into the Dutch oven?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Good Morning. Actually I rubbed it last night with pecan rub and put it in the fridge. I wasn't sure if searing on the grill was necessary or not...
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    I just did one this weekend. I opened the lid on the dutch oven for a while to get some of the smoke flavor in the meat and then later for the veggies. I was a little rushed so I did the veggies on the stove. Once the were almost done I then added them to the dutch oven for a little while to soak up all the juices and get some smoke. The temp sounds good. It is done when you put a fork in it and it comes out easily. I am interest also if there is an internal temp people recomend, I think mine was around 160-170. [p]Paine

• thirdeye
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]I don't really sear with high heat.....I just put it on at 250° or 300° for about an hour (maybe less for you since you have a small one) turning once. This is just a flavor and color step. Don't even worry about wood flavor if you don't want it.[p]While this is going on, I have the Dutch oven preheating in the American oven at 250°, with what ever liquid I'm using. Then I add roast and transfer the warm Dutch oven to the Egg.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Perfect! Thanks. I'll save this one. LOL
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Pdub,[p]I am interest also if there is an internal temp people recomend, I think mine was around 160-170. [p]
    I've never taken a temp, I'm sure mine are up around 200°. Sometimes it takes tongs and a scoop to get it out of the Dutch.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    i coat with flour and salt first and sear in oil then into the dutch. with the drippings in the pan i add a little more flour and cook it til it browns up a little and make a gravey with stock which also goes into the dutch. for liquid any combo of beer wine stock, water and only half way up the roast so that the top gets full flavor from the egg,flip once during the cook. veggies go in the last hour, some onion slices under the roast in the beginning. some rub thrown on top at the beginning of the cook in the dutch

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks for the response. I think I will cook mine longer next time. It was good but I think it could be better.
    Paine

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Just read your recipe to my wife. She almost cried because she said that it was her mother's recipe (without the egg).[p]She said it makes the best gravy in the world.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    beats my mothers recipe, put it in a pot and boil it. i almost cry thinking how she used to ruin pot roasts. i got that from an old yankee woman in northern new hampshire one day in a supermarket, i had no idea what to do with it so asked the woman next to me. after learning that technique, anything that starts with a roux became easy. potroast is good food in the egg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZ Traveler
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I agree with you on your temps. Here is the temp of mine when I pull them off:[p]IMG_0572.jpg[p]Hope this helps. AZ

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    AZ Traveler,[p]Man that looks good.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I've cooked the roast all by itself for about 45 minutes, just as you suggested. I just started timing it with all ingrediants together in the Lodge. Do you have any estimate about how long it might take to pull it using a dome temperature of 300°? It is now 4:10 pm.[p]Think I'll be eating by 7:00 pm?
  • thirdeye
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]You said your roast was just less than 2 pounds....so 3 hours in the Dutch oven may be calling it close. Poke around in 2 hours and see how it's coming along. That should give you some indication of a serving time.[p]I hate to rush them to much. Cutting roasts into smaller pieces is a last resort, but it will speed up the finish.[p]~thirdeye~ [p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]thanks. I think I'd rather just wait 'til later to eat.[p]Regards