Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Thanksgiving HAM test is on !!

Hanker'n2Grill
Hanker'n2Grill Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been issued a challenge. I am to fix the ham for Thanksgiving and I need the best kick-ass ham recipe, slow cooked to perfection, that there is. I quickly perused the previous posts and came up essentially empty-handed. [p]If anyone can help me out, I would sure appreciate it. I have a super anally retentive mother-in-law who will be sampling my wares at thanksgiving. Her big nose starts twitching at the slightest disagreable taste. All ideas receptive ... brining, slow cooking, favorite ham sauces, injecting, etc. I plan on a slow cook and really don't even have an idea of which ham to purchase ... picnic, bone in, bone out, brand name, etc., etc. I'm just not a ham guy (which is probably why the mom-in-law asked me to fix the ham). I think she knows I'm in enemy territory here.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    hanker'n2grill,
    I'd start with a whole, or at least butt portion, bone-in, cured ham. Then I'd inject it with apple cider and let rest overnight in the refrigerator. The next day I'd go for 200 to 210º dome temp until you get 150 degrees internal (apple chips added to the lump for flavor). At 150º, I'd swab it with a mixture of orange juice and honey (half and half). This will scorch very rapidly, so keep an eye on it. After 10 to 15 minutes remove and remove and wrap in foil to finish. For a table glaze, put two parts orange marmalade and one part mustard in the blender and blend until smooth.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    BlueSmoke,
    Is this a cured but "NOT" cooked ham????? It sounds delicious. Maybe I will rethink my thanksgiving meal.
    New Bob

• BlueSmoke,
    After you wrap the ham in foil, do you leave it on the BGE? Also, about how long will it take to get to 150 degrees internal? I need to do my ham on Tuesday (we are travelling to in-laws late Tuesday afternoon) for Thursday dinner. Any problems with cooking it that early? As good as it sounds (and I think I can already smell it) I may not be able to wait until Thursday.

• BlueSmoke
    KRB,
    No, let it finish in foil on the kitchen counter. To get to 150º I'd guess (and that's all it is) 1.5 hours to the pound. One of the beauty parts of a ham is you can do this baby DAYS in advance - just reheat before serving.

• BlueSmoke
    New Bob,
    Most of the hams you'll find in the supermarket have been pumped with a brine solution - so they're "cured," though they still need to be cooked. You can eat them, right out of the rack - try a taste of a ham steak out of the counter, and compare that to a taste after you've popped it in "Papa Egg," and you'll see what I'm talking about.