Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Smoking Question

Bob In Texas
Bob In Texas Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Would it be beneficial to set a pork butt on the grill in alum. foil (shaped like a paper coffee filter)with the top open, with a few holes punched in the bottom to let the grease drain out? I plan on injecting it, 'cause I don't want it to be dried out.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Bob In Texas,
    it won't dry out anyway, but inject away![p]what's the purpose of the foil? is that your 'indirect' set up?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,
    I don't have a real purpose for using the foil. I just thought it may help to hold the moisture in. I've never smoked one. Having never done one, I'm treading in unknown territory.

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    By using the BGE, the butt will stay very moist. The ceramic helps to retain heat and moiture. I can tell you that I use the indrect set up and very little juice in a drip pan and it is the best BBQ all of my buddies have eaten (and the juiciest) Don't worry about the foil until you are done cooking. Then pull it around 195*, foil it and let it sit for about an hour. Trust me, it won't be dry![p]Gene

• Crimsongator, thanks for all the encouragement you guys give. I might add that I will be using a platesetter under it too.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Bob In Texas,[p]The size of the butt seems to be important to getting a good, moist result. My local market tends to sell smallish butt portions, about 4 pounds. I tried several of those, and had only mediocre results, dryness being part of the problem. Once I got above 6 pounds, the results were noticabley better. I go for 8+ pounds now.[p]gdenby

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Bob In Texas,[p]See my post to HungryNephew :)[p]Foil... you don't need no stinkin' foil.. Well not till it's cooked.. :)[p]