Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe for 8 to 12 lb. beef tenderloin

Options
Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need some help for BGE cooking approx 10 lb. beef tenderloin (not stuffed).Thanks.[p]Ray Price

Comments

• WJS
    WJS Posts: 54
    Options
    Babyray,
    Are you trying for Chateaubriand?

• Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Options
    WJS,[p]Chateaubriand would be good. I am just looking to cook the beef tenderloin all in one piece and slice as desired when done.[p]Thanks,[p]Ray Price
  • WJS
    WJS Posts: 54
    Options
    Babyray,
    That's a pretty big piece of meat for Chateubriand. I've bught a couple of the cryovaced (sp?) ones from Costco. I usually cut 2 filets off of each end for steaks or fondue. I use the center section for the actual Chateaubrinand. I try to copy/modify a technique I saw at the Metropolitan steakhouse in Seattle. I spoke to one of the cook's. He said just salt and pepper to taste, mop it with oil, then sear it hot. He used mesquite. he moved it to the side until it reached desired doneness.[p]On the BGE, I get a good hot fire going with mesquite lump coal, then sear it, rolling it on all sides. I then close all the vents until it reaches desired doneness (I use the "poking" technique, seeing how the meat moves when gently prodded. I hate the idea of piercing such a fine piece of beef).[p]You can pull it off the BGE, then make a sauce by pouring the following on it: aus jus, dry mustard, red wine, and a little soy or worcestershire. Mix it as you go.[p]Slice it to about 1/4"-1/2" pieces. then pour the sauce over it. This is my favorite.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    View?u=1386188&a=10352463&p=49918265
    <p />Babyray, I take a little different approach. I put in a enough lump to get a fire to 700 degrees. Roll the tenderloin in charcrust and spray with extra virgin olive oil. Sear all sides turning frequently. Take off and add more lump, get the temp to 250-275 and cook indirect for 2-2 1/2 more hours. Tender and juicy.[p]CWM