Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey suggestions

WJS
WJS Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been reading all of the posts on turkey techniques, and I think I've decided how I want to do it (brined, indirect over inverted plate holder, drip pan over v-rack, mild smoking). One last decision to make: temperature. Still haven't really chosen. I've seen several at 325-350 degrees, but a few have suggested at 250. I'm planning a 14 lb bird. Has anybody tried both, and if so, had any preference.[p]Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments

• WJS,
    The meat is quite tasty on a 250 degree bird, but not worth the trade off for what it does to the skin, making it somewhat like watterlogged shoe leather, only less flavorful. 325-350 will get you more traditional results for skin lovers, but with plenty of smoky flavor to go along with it.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    WJS,
    I recently did one at 325ish. My next one will be at a lower temp. The skin was well ovedone and the outside layer of meat dried out just a bit. It was the best bird I have done to date, but my next will be better due to a lower cook temp. I brined, indirect with a drip pan, mild pecan smoke. Stuffed with apple halves and an orange with holes in it. Good Luck, you can't lose.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    WJS,[p]I've done turkeys at different temps and I prefer the 350°F target. I do baste the bird throughout most of the cook at the target temp to keep the skin from burning.[p]Puj
  • WJS
    WJS Posts: 54
    Citizen Q,
    What about searing it at a higher temp(say 500-550) for about 15 min. then dropping the temperature back to 250 the rest of the way? (That's how I usually do my prime ribs, and they come out very tasty). That might seal the juices and give the skin a better appearence and texture.[p]I'm just throwing this out as an idea. Somebody has to have tried this (right?).

• WJS,
    I dunno if anyone has tried that, but I prefer to keep it simple, one cook - one temp (except sear & dwell). I've only done about 6 turkeys, but many chickens and ducks at 350, and they've all exceeded my expectations, juicy as pineapples with crisp golden brown skin, no burning, no dryness at all.