Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I doing something wrong?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have tried several different brining recipes over the last few months and the results were always the same: the bird tasted salty and I couldn't notice any flavor enhancement from the other brine ingredients. What am I doing wrong?[p]

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    R. Prouse,[p]Would you post for the Forum a couple of your attempts with brines and we can then take it from there?[p]Puj
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    R. Prouse,
    I am not a brine fan at all, it just doesn't impress me, maybe it's not for you either. It could also be that you just don't appreciate the salt, so try cutting back on the amount in the brine solution.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    R. Prouse,
    Use less salt. I know there is some aspect of preserving the bird with the brine, but is it not like marinading. Is it that much different from marinading chicken? I just did my first brine, with the recipie posted by JAppledog, and I could taste hints of it in the bird. It was delicious.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    R. Prouse,[p] One way to get less salty taste is to use a brine with both sugar and salt. Also, make sure you rinse the bird well before cooking. Brining only imparts a subtle flavor -- unless you use something other than water. I make a Guiness brine that definitely imparts a flavor![p]MikeO