Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket...

Options
JD McGee
JD McGee Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks,[p]I'm doing my first brisket in my BGE this weekend and am seeking opinions on the "fat side up...or fat side down" debate. I'm thinking about fat side up with a water pan on the plate setter to use as a heat sink.[p]JD
Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    JD McGee,[p]I vote fat side down and no liquid in the drip pan. Although I inject and sometimes baste after 3 or 4 hours.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Tiburon
    Tiburon Posts: 42
    Options
    JD McGee,[p]I go fat side down and do not use water. Either way, it should turn out great.
  • thirdeye,
    that's what i was gonna say, but i waited... for someone else to say it.[p]and so it shall be.

• Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 139
    Options
    JD McGee,
    Fat down, no water...

• JD McGee
    Options
    Madhatter,[p]Hey Russ,[p]Congrats on your comp finish! Great Job! Fat down...no water! Got it! Seems to be the general consensus as well.[p]JD

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 139
    Options
    JD McGee,
    Thanks JD.... it was a good time!

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    First brisket...Use the KISS Principle...Nothing exotic...I say fat side down..protects meat from excessive heat contact in case of an unstable fire..The fat cap does nothing in regards to keeping the meat moist...As far as having a "heat sink"..I think that's unnecessary also..I use an empty pan to catch drippings and that's it...I would avoid injections or anything like that..Thin coat of mustard or olive oil and your favorite dry rub..Plenty of lump in the box...275-300 Dome Temp..which gives you 250-275 temp at the grate...And you're off to the races!! Internal meat temperature is everything..Ideal range is 190 - 200...Don't overcomplicate...KeepItSimple....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• JD McGee
    Options
    eddiemac,[p]Thanks Ed...I am doing just what you and several other folks suggested. I'm going to try John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub since I can't get Dizzy Pig's here in time for the weekend. Great tip on the dome temp as well...I also have an internal temp probe that I plan on using.[p]JD