Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking at low temps

disabledDK
disabledDK Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am 1st timer here ,what I want to do is go home at noon set egg at
200 -250 put in hot dish of some kid or stew ect leave in for 5 -6 hrs come home eat hot meal ,just like my mother did but do it very slow ,Are there any thouhgt on this or can anyone help
Thanks

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Dk ,[p]I like cooking this way very much. I highly recommend chicken thighs. The connective tissue disappears and the end meat has the texture of breast meat with the flavor of thigh meat. Cook them skin side up at 225-250 for 4-4.5 hours. The skin turns out very nice too.[p]The biggest hurtle is to get the egg to 225-250 degrees and holding. The secret is patience and don't overshoot as the ceramic cools much slower than it heats.[p]Best of luck,
    Spin

• Dk ,
    I've done this many times. The trick is getting your fire at the right temp and stable before putting the food on. It takes me about 45 minutes to convince myself that my fire is stable and in the 250-270 range. But sometimes, I just set the vents and let it fly if I'm in a hurry. I find this approach to be super for stews, pot roasts, and even ribs. Also, I'd make sure my unattended egg is somewhere it won't be a fire hazard to your house or deck.[p]Good luck[p]Paul

• Dk ,[p]Did you go home at lunch and do it?
    What did you decide to cook?
    How'd it work out?[p]Regards...

• Spin,
    Ok but to do this get it at 200 ,what the trick ,I almost cant turn it down any more ,on the bottom I have less than 1/8" ant top a 1/16" ,and I got 250 today
    thanks

• Essex County,
    Ok lets say I want to make Scalloped Potatoes or corn
    if you in low 200 temps if will a dish like this burn
    if it gose for 5-6 hr?
    thanks

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    DK , you're not going to have an easy time stabilizing at 200 without the use of Guru. You will have only a quarter of a petal showing in your daisy wheel and your bottom vent should be just a sliver open for 200. And you must set it that way before it hits 175. If you let it go to 225 you will not get it back down to 200 for hours. And opening the dome to try to cool it off only makes the problem worse because it gives the fire fresh oxygen.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Dk ,[p] I'd suggest that you get yourself a Dutch Oven. Either enameled or not. Prepare any of the hundreds of known crock pot recipes in the dutch oven. if the food has plenty of fluid in it you can leave the top off.[p] Scallop potatoes would definitely burn after 4-5 hours