Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey breast

Options
Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey fellow eggers, Ive been gone awhile,but using my egg almost every night. My question on this sunday after noon is. Can you put a turkey breast on the rack indirect and smoke it. Do you have it brine it should i use a rub? Need some thing fast for to night Thanks

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Uncle Dave,
    Indirect should work well even without brining. Just put on a rub of your choice and cook it at about 325 degrees. If you want a crispier skin, go direct the last half hour or so.
    JimW

• Uncle Dave, BRINING is the only way to go. Put your turkey breast in a pot and just cover it with water. Add 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2cup brown sugar, 12 oz. orange juice, tbs.crushed chili pepper, tbs. garlic powder and any other spices you like. Put in fridge over night. Brining itself will give you a juicy breast. Your own experience after a few trials will tell you what spices to use. Get your indirect heat unit up to about 225 deg. Put a thermometer in the heaviest part of the breast. Cook to about 170 or so. Let it stand about 15 or 20 mins. Slice and enjoy. The new remote control thermometers are really great. You can keep an eye on the meat with opening the grill. Good luck

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    JimW,
    I'm figuring the breast goes in skin-side-up. Do you flip to skin-side-down for crisping?

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I leave the breast up. The skin crisps up nicely.
    JimW