Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Practice Turkey Success w/ J Appledog's recipe

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Followed J. Appledog's recipe for brined turkey last weekend. It was incredibly moist and delicious. I was going to glaze the skin for the last thirty minutes with a thyme infused maple butter that I whipped up, but when the dome was opened the skin was already a rich dark brown. Thanks for the recipe, it was amazing.
Dean

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Thanks, DMC, and thanks to Cat who shared the recipe with me a year ago! [p]On Friday after work I stopped by my favorite watering hole for a cold beer (or three). I ended up with 3 pheasants as well! Over the weekend I brined them in the (same recipe as above) brine mixture. We did them indirect after they had been brushed with olive oil, butter and Santa Fe Seasons Holy Trinity Rub. They were moist & juicy and the best pheasant anyone had ever tasted! [p]We had a bit of a mixed grill going all day yesterday and into the night, with friends coming and going. We also cooked lots of chicken parts brined in the same brine as the pheasants, and salmon which had been soaked in a basic salt, honey, brown sugar brine. Before cooking the fish on an alder plank I brushed it with maple syrup & a bit of Myers's rum. This was, again, the best salmon that any of us had ever had and our first experience with an alder plank.[p]We've been at this Egg thing for a number of years and it just keeps getting better![p]Bone appétit! JCA[p]
  • J Appledog, dumb question time, OK? but when grilling on an alder plank is the plank consumed in the cook or can it be cleaned somehow and reused time after time?

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    one feral kat,
    The alder boards that we got at the lumberyard are 5/8" thick so they're definitely for one time use. I saw some on a web site that are thick and reinforced with steel and CAN be reused, but we were lucky just to find alder in the first place. JCA

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    J Appledog--
    You mentioned Santa Fe Seasons Holy Trinity Rub. Where might I obtain some of that? You have piqued my curiosity. I tried 'santafeseasons.com', but the site is no longer in existence, I guess.[p]THANKS