Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is a Good Deal on a Small or Mini?

Options
Timbo
Timbo Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I saw a Small for $250, a Mini for $139, and a Med for $425.
Do these prices strike any of you Eggers as a good deal?
I need a second... The large just aint enough.

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Timbo, I would suggest getting the small next. If you want to have a mobile one for only two people then maybe the mini is best. I have all three and they all serve a different purpose but if I only had two, I would get a large and a small.
    hth.
    ChefRD

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Timbo,
    I have a Large and a Mini and I really want to get a small or a Med. The mini is okay for a couple of small steaks or chicken breasts but not much else.
    My suggestion would be to got for a Small or a med.
    There's never enough grill space!

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Sundown, is a "mini" really worth it as a bbq or do you find it more of a novelty?
    I mean, is it worth it to go through the trouble of lighting it and cooling it just for a shishkabob or a burger or two?[p]I`m curious, not doubting, just wondering..[p]Mop

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    minicook.jpg
    <p />Timbo,
    I have all four of the eggs.I use the small egg more than the rest put together,I mainly use the large for butts,turkey and ribs.The mini is a great little cooker to take on vacation or to tailgate with.Here is a picture of the mini loaded,hope this helps.
    Larry

• Sundown
    Options
    Mop,
    My Mini was a gift from my kids. Had I had my choice I would have opted for a Small or a Med.
    Is it worth going through the trouble of lighting....? Same abount of effort as any of the others. If you just want a burger then I think it may be worth it. I've had it for about a year and I use it 1 out of every 50 times I cook. Somtimes find it difficult to control because the food is so close to the coals. Have Mr. Big down to a "tee" as far as controls go. Would I buy one for myself? No. Would I suggest one for someone else? No. I would have to say, go for the sm or med.
    Did I even answer your question? I babble a lot lately. ;>)

• YB
    Options
    miniring.jpg
    <p />Sundown,
    This 1 1/2" x 9" stainless steel ring with a extra grill made the mini egg cook more like the small egg...The 1 1/2" higher makes a lot of difference.
    Larry

• Sundown
    Options
    YB,
    Where did you find the S/S ring? I can see raising the grill that much might make it easier to control the cook. I wouldn't mind using the Mini a lot more if I could find your ring.
    Appreciate you help.

• Big Murth
    Options
    YB,
    Yeah buddy. I too need to know where to get a ring thing for my mini.
    Thanks..............Big Murth

• YB
    Options
    Sundown,
    I had mine made at a sheet metal shop.I think any welding shop would make it for you.Take your grill to them and tell them to turn the grill up side down and make a 1/8"x1 1/2"x9" that will fit in the grill.Next buy a extra grill and turn it up the right way and sit on top of the ring...I hope all this makes sense.Let me know if I can help.
    Larry

• Big Murth,
    You could use your 9 inch springform pan.. Its, well mine is, 9 x2 1/2. So Its a inch taller but They come in all sizes..[p]
    Dylan

• YB
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme& Big Murth
    That will work also...You can use a 9" ring made for a Wok.I have used a 8" pie pan with the extra grill on it to cook indirect...It lets plenty of heat around the pan.This method works good for cooking a whole chicken cut in half.
    Larry