Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a ham

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for some tips on smoking a fresh ham. There is a recipe in the BGE recipe book I got when I bought it, but it's unclear if this is for a fresh ham or for something already cured.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

Comments

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Bill,
    I decided to experiment with a fresh ham this weekend. I bought a fresh 7 lb picnic ham and injected it with “ Caribbean Citrus grill” injectable marinade and rubbed it with Bad Byron’s butt rub. I cooked it indirect in a v rack and drip pan at 250* until it reached an internal temperature of 170*. I added a hand full of mesquite chips to the fire. The result is hard to explain. It didn’t taste at all like ham - more like pork loin. But it was very good, tender and juicy. Even my 16 year old son liked it. Next time I might use a different injectate. The one thing about ham is that it is cheap. If you make a mistake you aren’t out $30 or $40. (The recipe is from the local BGE dealer). Good luck!
    Rich

• Bill, is that a ham you have or is it a leg of pork ? reg

• Bill,[p]I am far from an expert, but have cooked a fresh ham on the BGE. When I say a fresh ham it is cured but not cooked. If that is the same as yours, then perhaps I can help. There are many posters that have more experience than me.[p]I cooked direct, though most would suggest indirect and probably are right. I don't have firebricks or a plate setter. Anyway, I kept the dome temp at about 350 for the cook. I had an 18 pound ham and it took just under 6 hours to get to 170. The hams was incredible. I didn't use a rub or any preparation, just put the ham on the grill. I did pour the hickory smoke to it during the cook.[p]When I do my next one, I will probably do the same. I didn't feel that the outcome would be improved with a slow cook like on butts. I might use a drip pan and indirect if I have the means, but otherwise, no change. I figure about 15 - 20 minutes per pound.[p]I hope this helps. I have a couple pictures I can e-mail if you are interested, but haven't figured out how to post to forum.[p]Buckeye Bill

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Bill,
    Generally speaking, you can use the directions on the ham for the time and temp to cook it. I like to do them indirect at about 350 degrees dome. If I'm doing a fresh ham, I'll take the internal temp to about 160 degrees. If it's a fully cooked one, I take it only to about 135 degrees (you're just heating it through really). The last half hour I put on my glaze, if any, and finish it off. BTW, avoid the spiral cut hams. The slices tend to flop over resulting in very dry meat.
    JimW

• reg,
    what I'm talking about amounts to a leg of pork, sometimes referred to as a fresh ham. It has not been smoked, cured or anything. I think to get the pink color like you get with store-bought hams, you need to soak in brine or something. I'm not sure.[p]

• Rich,
    This looks really good. When did you add the chips?
    Did you get the recipe at the BGE store in ATL?

• JimW,
    Thanks for the tip!
    Bill