Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a pumpkin..How to?

Ricky B
Ricky B Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a new egger, since July, and am having more fun cooking on my egg than I would ever thought. I have never cooked a whole pumpkin before but I would like to try it. I have seen some recipies on this forum in the past but I just can't seem to find them now. I bought two small pie pumpkins, about 8 inches in dia. What do I do now?? How do I cook them, stuffed, indirect, direct, foil wrap?? Please help.

Comments

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    RickyB,[p]Steven Raichlen has a recipe for cooking Calabaza which is a pumpkiny flavored squash that weighs about 2 pounds. He says to scoop the seeds out, wrap loosely in foil and cook indirect for about an hour over medium heat(around 350 degrees). I'm guessing the wrapping is to let it steam in it's own juices. If you wanted some smoke flavor, you could probably foil until that last 15 minutes or so then just unwrap it and throw some wood chunks on the fire.
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    RickyB,[p]Here is one way. [p]Pumpkin, The Great Pumpkin, RhumAndJerk

This recipe is loosely based upon a recipe that I found in a Native American cookbook. Pumpkin was a staple of both Colonial America and Native Americans. In my house, we have been eating pumpkin for some years, as it is very flavorful. This recipe is fun to make and has a great presentation. It is also a lot of work but relax and enjoy. You can also be creative as to what you put in the stuffing so substitute as needed. The original recipe called for ground buffalo or ground venison mixed with Italian sausage. One final note: it is actually my wife that gave me the idea to cook this.
    [p]Ingredients:
    1 Pie Pumpkin, about 4-5 pounds
    1 cup Long-Grain Rice
    1 cup Wild Rice
    1.5 lbs Bulk Country Sausage
    1 can low sodium Chicken Broth (approx. 1 3/4 cup)
    1 medium Yellow Onion, peeled and sliced
    1 Leek, sliced in half, rinsed and sliced
    1 clove Garlic, crushed
    2 Tbs Butter
    6 Mushrooms, medium-sized, cleaned and sliced
    3 Green Onions, chopped
    1/4 lb Tasso Ham, diced
    2 Apples, medium-sized, peeled and chopped
    1/4 cup fresh Parsley, chopped
    1 tsp Fresh Thyme
    1 tsp Sage
    1/4 cup Bourbon
    1/4 cup Raisins
    1/4 cup Golden Raisins
    1/4 cup Dried Currents
    1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    2 Eggs, lightly beaten

Preparation:
    1 Cook the Long-Grain Rice as you normally would.
    2 Rinse the Wild Rice with cold water. Bring the chicken broth and wild rice to a boil in a saucepan. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Start checking after 35 minutes for doneness. It is ok if it is a little under done and all of the liquid is not absorbed.
    3 Brown the sausage in a skillet and drain most of the grease.
    4 Wash off the outside of the pumpkin. Clean the pumpkin like you would for a Jack-O-Lantern. Save the top and the seeds.
    5 With a fork pierce the inside of the pumpkin being careful not to break the skin. Sprinkle the inside of the pumpkin with salt and pepper.
    6 In a skillet, sauté the onion, leek and garlic in the butter for a couple of minutes
    7 Add the Mushrooms and Green Onions to the skillet and continue to sauté for a couple of minutes more.
    8 Add the Apples, Sausage and Ham to the skillet. Continue cooking until all is heated.
    9 Remove from heat.
    10 In a large bowl, combine the rice, wild rice, the mixture from the skillet and the rest of the ingredients (except eggs)
    11 Mix in the beaten eggs.
    12 Fill the pumpkin with the stuffing and put the top back on.
    Cooking Instructions:
    1 Place the stuffed pumpkin in shallow baking dish or pie plate.
    2 Cook on the BGE, over indirect heat at 350 for about 1.5 to 2.5 hours.
    3 The pumpkin will tell you when it is done. When you touch the outside of the pumpkin, it should feel soft.
    4 Make sure that the stuffing reaches 180 degrees just to be on the safe side.
    5 Let the pumpkin rest for 15 minutes after cooking. This is important to allow the juices to be absorbed back into the stuffing.
    6 You can serve the pumpkin two ways, you can slice it or you can scoop out the contents making sure to include some of the pumpkin meat with stuffing.
    Special Notes:
    1 The White Rice can be made the day before.
    2 I browned the Sausage the day before.
    3 I used a mixture of Apples: one Gala, ½ Granny Smith, ½ Cortland.
    4 I used a mixture of Mushroom: ½ button, ½ Cremini. You could use whichever kind you would like. Wild Mushrooms would be appropriate.
    5 You can experiment with the type of Sausage and Ham.
    6 To make this a vegetarian meal, just leave out the meat and add more mushrooms.
    7 Save the Pumpkin Seeds for the children to clean and roast.
    8 Place any extra stuffing in a covered baking dish and bake at 350 for about an hour.
    9 If baking the pumpkin in a conventional oven, place the pumpkin in a shallow baking dish with some water in it to maintain moisture.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: RhumAndJerk[p]Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '04, RhumAndJerk[p]Based on a recipe i found in a Native American Cookbook

[p]