Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8lb PORK BUTT-FAST!

Jackbythesea
Jackbythesea Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there a way to cook an 8lb Butt in about 8 hours. Having some friends over tonite and everyone wants one. Problem is I didn't go get it yet! Thinking about 375 for about 8 hours on the large with everything else the same. HELP!
Thanks,
Jack

Comments

• Jackbythesea,
    375 would be way to much heat. I'd try 275,
    check the temperature about an hour before you're ready. If you need to crank it up to 325-350 do it then. You should be ok.

• Charlie, Thanks have you ever done it that way?
    JR

• Jackbythesea,
    Cut it in half

• jackbythesea,
    Yes I have. If you put an 8lb. but in an oven and set it at 350 it would probably take about 3 hrs. to cook it.
    Also, if you have an injector, try injecting it with some Ken's Honey Terraki Sauce. Make sure you don't use any brand with sesame seeds.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Jackbythesea,[p]How about turning it into two 4# butts?? Heheee. Yes, you can do a shortcut, hi-temp, quick-cook butt. Cooker temp is 350°, indirect set up with a drip pan. [p]Aggressively trim the fat. This will result in a less greasy finished product....remember you are rushing through the time normally used for rendering. Inject the butt until it won't take any more, rub as usual. I stay away from a rub with too much sugar.[p]Cook for 2 hours with smoke a bit heavier than usual. (Tent it at 1-1/2 hours if the color is getting away from you). Remove (at two hours) and wrap in double layer of foil and go in to a 325° oven until the internal hits 195°. This will take about 3 hours. Rest in an insulated cooler for at least an hour, two is better. [p]There you are in 7 hours. Everyone I know that does this uses 7 or 8 # butts, I have never tried it on small ones, I would think size works in your favor. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Jackbythesea,
    I tasted this at eggtoberfest 99 and it was good.
    Larry

[ul][li]Uncle Bill's Pulled Pork[/ul]