Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hanging Jerky

Jeff
Jeff Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will jerky cook faster if I hang from a second grill? Most recipes call for a 12 hour cook but they also say to arrange your meat in a mound. Will I need to reduce my time if I plan to hang?

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Jeff,
    I do my jerky on three 10" X 16" screens that i get from my BGE distributer.(sorry I don't have a photo) One elevated over an inverted plate sitter, one on the main grid and one on a grid extenter. I usually do a single layer of meat, tightly packed on the grid, It will shrink somewhat as it cooks and as you taste it. I'm not sure if hanging is faster , but this method has never taken 12 hours, usually 5-6. I can't make it enough for my family and even have a friend that will buy the meat and I get to keep half for making it. Be careful i think it is addictive.[p]Chuck

• J1d.JPG
    <p />Jeff,[p]The temperature is what will determine how long it takes. I can't imagine 12 hours in a BGE, it would be hard to keep the temp low enough. More like 6-8 hours probably.[p]Don't know if it cooks any faster being "hung", but it saves you the time and inconvenience of flipping it.[p]K

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    View?u=474327&a=10378379&p=41173366&Sequence=0&res=high
    <p />Jeff,[p]Hanging jerkey is really easy. Takes a little longer, but well worth it.[p]4 or 5 hours max @ 180/210 for this batch. That's 80 pcs. of jerkey also.[p]Have fun.[p]Mick

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Jeff,
    I find that I get more jerky in the BGE if I hang it. I usually only keep the jerky in for 2-3 hours then finish it in my dehydrator. The jerky maintains the same flavor that way as if I had cured it completely in the BGE and I can also make two batches (i.e. more jerky) in the same amount of time. [p]Mr Beer