Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend Appetizers

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have some new intersting Appy ideas, maybe some family favorites that are not too common? [p]Last weekend I did fresh mozzarella sticks wrapped in proscuitto, and scallops covered with a olive, sundried tomato, garlic and arugual paste wrapped in pancetta. Both of these were fantastic, but I want to try something really different this weekend.[p]Thanks...

Comments

• bw
    bw Posts: 87
    Options
    CanuckEgg,[p]Those sound great, would you mind sharing both those recipes?[p]Thanks
    bw

• Bacon Wrapped, Sausage stuffed Dates with Dizzy Pig Rub. Cook in smoker til bacon is done.[p]Enjoy
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    100_0177.jpg
    <p />CanuckEgg,
    these are good

[ul][li]rellenos[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    fishlessman,
    i second that[p]DSCN0230.jpg[p]or shrimp abt's
    DSCN0038.jpg[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    BENTE, everytime I see your post. Damn that is the only use for Yuengling. Got all day Sunday to cook 4:15 kickoff

• BENTE,[p]Shrimp ABT's? OK, I am intrigued. Do you use shrimp as opposed to pulled pork or cocktail weiners mixed with the cream cheese? Also, I assume that you do not cook the shrimp beforehand...still 350 degrees for an hour or so like regular ABT's?[p]Dang that sounds good. [p]BHD
  • bw,[p]These are pretty easy,and taste great. I don't use recipes, just eyeball ingredients. Tip on these 2 appy's, do not use any salt.[p]Mozz wrapped in Proscuitto
    Take fresh Mozzarella and cut it into 1/2 by 1/2 inch strips. Roll a slice of proscuitto around each stick. [p]Place on direct about 300 with the lid up, and turn constantly until meat gets crispy and the mozz starts to melt. This does not take long, a minute or less...[p]Scallops
    Take equal parts (2 handfuls) of olives and sun dried tomatoes (in oil) 2 garlic cloves, a handful of arugala and pine nuts, and some extra virgin olive oil and process in a food processor until a paste forms. You can aslo just chop it up fine with a knife.[p]Coat both sides of the scallop with the paste, and wrap the scallop up using 2 slices of pancetta. [p]Place on indirect heat along with 2 lemon halves, cut side down,at 250-300 for about 15 minutes until bacon crisps up. When they are done, squirt em with the grilled lemon.[p]Open a couple of nice bottles of Chianti,close your eyes and after a bite, you swear you are in Tuscany!! Enjoy

• BENTE
    Options
    Big Hairy Dawg,
    yea it's just raw shrimp, cream cheesa, and whichever type of rub you usually put with the regular abt's.
    and still 350 for anhour or so.[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    Steeler Fan,
    yea i am not sure but i may make a spatch **** chicken for the game. i am still troubled by your dislike of a beer made in pa.(i can't spell the whole thing)[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Warthog
    Options
    BENTE,
    I have to say that I love your raised grid lifters. I moved to the west coast and I miss the Yuengling. I don't think it is ever going to get out here, unless the eastern seaboard goes dry, or Penn State closes it doors to everyone. Quite a step up from the Iron City and Genessee brands!!

• Daniel Shuflin,[p]Sounds great dude...I have done something similar - figs marinated in Balsamic vinegar and stuffed with goat cheese wrapped in pancetta...
  • Smokin' Lady
    Options
    CanuckEgg, these went over well, and are something different, you could either serve bigger portions for lunch, or thinner slices for nibblies.[p]Black Bean Quesadillas[p]1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 tomato, seeded and chopped
    1 roasted red pepper, peeled and chopped
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    2 tbsps. green onions, minced[p]1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
    1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
    6 10" flour tortillas[p]Combine first 7 ingredients. Place tortillas on counter, spread half with black bean mixture, leaving a 1/2" border.
    Sprinkle with cheeses. Brush edges with water, fold over, pressing edges together. Throw on the egg at 300 deg. and heat for 3-5 minutes per side. Cut into wedges with a pizza wheel or sharp knife. Enjoy.

• BENTE
    Options
    Warthog,
    watch out Steeler Fan LOVES(!!!!!) iron city. i moved away from the north before i turned twenty one so i have never tried iron city. we just got Yuengling here so be patient.[p]i got the grid lifter idea from Qbabe (i think) she said to use a can of some type and we had plenty of those beer cans around };~)>[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    prev76.jpg
    <p />CanuckEgg,
    Bacon wrapped pickled watermelon rind is a hit here.We cook some every year at Eggtoberfest.
    Larry

• Warthog
    Options
    BENTE,
    You didn't miss anything with that stuff.

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I make those at eggs by the bay this year only I added chopped carne asada with sour cream on top. The food vultures were 20 deep. Very good.[p]Cheers, Glenn