Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

medium or large egg?

JK
JK Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm trying to decide between the medium and the large BGE. I'm wondering if the medium sears steaks better because the grate is closer to the fire. Or if the large gets as hot and sears just as well. Also, is the large a more efficient "smoker" than the medium?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    j.k.,
    True that the medium's grid is closer, and thus does have certain advantages with direct grilling (the small even more so). Yet you should find the large to do a very nice job at turbo temps. and if you wish, you can always remove the fire ring, and set your grate right on the firebox if you want it in nuclearville.[p]The medium is a bit more efficient fuel-wise, but not a major difference.[p]Hope that helps.
    Great weekend to ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    j.k., money should be no object, just get both :-)
    I have a medium (and a mini) and am quite happy with it. If someone offered me a large for my medium and $75 I would probably do it. You can just do more with the large. One day, I will own a large.

• j.k.,
    The large is much more versatile as far as available accessories as well as being larger than the medium by about 50% more grill area. You can also easily add a second 18 inch grill and a grid extender for tri level cooking on your low and slows. As for the grid being closer to the fire for searing, just load the thing up with lump, I load well over the firebox to within about 3 inches of the grid on my large making for efficient searing and upwards of 24 hour cooks with no need for refueling.[p] I am also of the belief that this method protects the firebox and coal grate from cracking due to excessive heat as the fire is kept up and away from problem areas, a theory that I proved to myself last week as I burned a full chamber of lump wide open for over 5 hours.

• j.k.,[p]Get the LARGE !!!!!!!!!
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    j.k.,[p]If you have the budget go with the large. You can configure the large to act like a medium or a small, but you can't add the fuel capacity of a large with a medium.[p]Regardless of what you ultimately buy you'll make great eats![p]Puj
  • j.k., don't say never ok? But if there's any chance a second BGE is in your future...again don't say never because it gets in your blood and you crave even more and more...ooops had to get a grip there! Start with a large and later add a small. That is a trip to have both ends of the spectrum! Momma kat even filled in the gap for me and gave me a medium now, but the large and then a small is a great 1 2 punch!

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    j.k.,
    I had the same problem when I started looking at eggs. What I found at the time was if I were looking at the medium rather then the small I might as well get the large because it was not that much more. I don't know what eggs are going for at the moment but when I purchased mine there was a rather large increase between the small and medium compared to a small increase when going from the med. to the large. I also have a mini, I Love my large and sometimes use it even for a hamburger patty. Go for the large if you can swing it.
    Best of luck to ya,
    New Bob

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    I have a large and I got my dad a medium. If i had it to do over, I would buy a large. If he had it to do over, he would buy a medium. The main difference between us is that he doesn't have as much space as I do, and he tends to entertain on a smaller scale. I have an easier time with awkwardly large cuts, though he can usually fit them in. I can hold a low temperature more easily, he can get a grilling temperature faster. I don't think you will regret either, but both of us would recommend the large to our friends unless you have space restrictions. [p]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    MyBge.jpg
    <p />j.k., I have had a medium and use it several times every week - it does every thing that I need it to do - I have done lo/slo for 23 hours without refueling and do steaks regularly at about 700-800 degrees. But, there are only 2 of us most of the time and I don't do turkey. Whichever you get you'll like. Check out the link - all cooked on a medium - Life is GOOD! :~}[p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    j.k.,
    I think a lot depends on how many you cook for and what your plans are. If it's just you or maybe 2 people most of the time, a medium may be fine. If you don't plan using it all the time or big cooks, again, a medium may be fine. That being said, I still suggest you get the biggest size you can. If you get the medium, once you fall in love with it (somewhere around the first or second cook) you'll be wishing you'd gotten the large. Either way, you're in for a real pleasure!

• j.k.,[p] I have had a mini for about a year and was lucky enough to pick up a large at this years eggtoberfest after lusting after one for several years. The mini is great for steaks and such but the large is the way to go if you only have one egg (for now). The large will pay for itself in pizza delivery savings within the year (I have a smoked oyster, anchovy, onion and pepperoni just waiting for the stone to heat up). Buy the large, you will not regret it.[p]JET[p]

• Walter
    Walter Posts: 67
    j.k.,[p]I can't directly compare the medium to the large - as I only have a large, however I also have a family of 5 to feed. Never had a problem searing steaks, etc. on the large, even with the grid on the fire-ring. Smoked brisket and Boston Butts for over 26 hours on the large without refueling and still had enough fuel left over to BBQ some chicken. Best present I ever gave myself :)[p]Walter