Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese Dip

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a receipe for mexican restaurant style cheese dip?[p]I am dreaming up a spatch-**** smoked chicken quesadilla type of thing and would love to compliment with authentic style cheese dip. [p]Mexican food is one of the last, "let's go out to eat" instead of cooking on the egg meals in our house. If I can get the cheese dip and salsa right, my family will give in. [p]Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
BHD

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Big Hairy Dawg,
    Velvetta cheese, pico de Gallo and mexican chorizo. Cook the chorizo first and drain the grease.
    Here is one that popped up on another site yesterday.[p]Dip, Cheese, Queso

A creamy smooth flavorful cheese dip.
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    32 oz Asadero or Queso Quesadilla cubed
    1/2 cup diced green chiles (if using canned, drain them first)
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1 Tbs chile powder
    1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
    1 cup crema (sour cream)
    1 red bell pepper, seeded, diced

PREPARATION:
    1 Over a double boiler or in a crock pot, stir all ingredients except crema until cheese is melted. Immediately before serving, stir in crema.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source
    Author: Chelsie Kenyon,Your Guide to Mexican Cuisine.[p]Source: Internet, Chelsie Kenyon, 09/27/07

[p]

• I second this post. Anyone know a great cheese dip reciepe??? thanks Jason
  • Here is one I use quite often. I hope you like it.[p]Chile con Queso (from scratch!) [p]
    2 Tbs butter
    1/2 medium onion, chopped
    1 large garlic clove, chopped
    1/4 tsp cumin
    black pepper
    3 or 4 peeled canned tomatos, or 2 peeled fresh tomatos
    2/3 C whole roasted green chiles
    8 oz white cheese - Monterey Jack is ok
    3 oz cream cheese, diced
    1/2 - 2/3 C cream [p]Warm cheese to room temperature. Melt butter in small saucepan, add onion and garlic, cover and sweat for 5 minutes over low heat. Meanwhile, place the tomatos, green chiles, cumin and pepper in a food processor and chop throughly (don't puree). Add tomato mixture to pan, cook at medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. [p]Remove pan from heat, add cheese and stir until melted. Add cream to thin as needed. If you need to rewarm the dip use very low heat to avoid breaking down the cheese. Serve with tortilla chips, or flour tortillas

• They sound great, guys. Thank you![p]Rascal

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,661
    4b00abca.jpg
    <p />Big Hairy Dawg,
    i just mix veleeta, salsa, and taco flavored cooked and drained hamburgur for a dip, but manchego cooked on chips separately is the best.[p]100_0369.jpg[p]velveeta and salsa and maybe a little montery jack, becareful with cheeses other than velveeta, they seem to break down a little. the soapstone bowl keeps the dip warm for a good amount of time[p]100_1287.jpg[p]chili pie with a lard crust and some velveta salsa poured on top of the chips.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone![p]Viva 1a queso![p]BHD