Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Method--Help

Options
Painter
Painter Posts: 464
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to do a big slab of spares tomorrow , over drip pan and in a rib rack. Question is, do I put them in the rack thick side up or down? Or do I flip during cook so it won't make any difference? Other clues to this cook will be appreciated.
Painter

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Painter,
    In the rib rack it's thick side down not really sure why...just always done it that way. Works.
    Never flipped them either couldn't hurt though. Funny how once you get into doing something you just kind of 'do it' automatically. Sorry to not have been more help. Mr. Egg is pretty forgiving no mater what you do.
    Carey

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Painter,
    Most that use the rib rack do flip them, particularly if the side that's down starts to get a bit overcooked. I would just watch them and flip to ensure even cooking.
    JimW

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Painter,
    I usually start thick side up, there's more fat there, and I think as it renders it runs down to the thin side. After a couple of hours, I start to get pull-back from the bone tips, and that's when I flip them. (I usually spray with apple cider every hour, that's how I know when pull-back starts.) Good luck, and good eating!

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Thanks, I just flipped 31/2 hrs. into cook. Looking good and the aroma is great. Like Sundown said, the egg is forgiving and hard to screw up. Check your e-mail again as I want some of that award winning sauce and rub of yours.
    Painter