Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nature Boy and Squid

Options
PuppyBreath
PuppyBreath Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Nature Boy,
I want to tackle your squid recipe in a week or so and I am somewhat terror stricken...
i haven't had my egg up to 700 degrees so of course that's a fright...
and then there's that i don't quite understand what the squid should sit on...would that be right on the grill? i guess you pam the grill eh...
then there's the one minute on each side which comes to 120 seconds ... how does the 90 fit in?
then theres the opening the lid... i guess you have to work really fast? the temp. will surely fall from 700 with all the opening and closing of the hatch...
i have some squid tubes frozen that are about 7" long... how many of those would you put on before the temp. would be pulled too far down?[p]Thanks Nature Boy

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    squid.JPG
    <p />Howdy PuppyBreath,
    Life is grand, and why the hell not. Squids are there for the eating![p]Having your egg at turbo temps is really no big deal. It will only help if you really let it get roaring, and lap the thermometer back around to 100. Wear gloves and work quickly. I usually sweat pretty good after making a batch, as there is plenty of BTUs. Open lid slowly, and you should avoid any whooshes. [p]The marinade has plenty of oil, so I normally don't spray the grid. If you feel like it, drizzle some more peanut oil over the squiddlies just vefore throwing them on. The cooking spray doesn't stand a chance at those temps anywho. I usually don't have trouble with sticking. If it does stick at first, it will release itself within the minute. Listen for that wild "thwiiiip" sound of the squid sizzling on the grill. My favorite part. As far as the 90 seconds, I intended that to mean the max for each side. You will probably want to go 90 seconds if your fire is not all it can be. With true turbo temps, 60 seconds is plenty. Not counting the quick saucing time. [p]Put as much as you want on, and don't worry about temps dropping. Below you should have a full orange inferno which should get the job done.[p]BTW, I cook with 2 grids rotated. See pic. Rhum and jerk is waiting with the cutting board.[p]Have fun, and please keep us posted.
    Babybacks and Kabobs tonight. Beer thirty yet?
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Nature Boy, I'ts beer thirty here in Morrisonille Wis. I have a chicken breast on the egg marinaded in Julies jamacain jerk, it will be great. Squidlys lookin good also. Haven't done them yet, but I have to find a supplier around here to help me out. Have a good weeekend.
    Painter

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Painter, That's "Morrisonville"..I told you it was beer thirty.[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Painter,
    Yeeee ha! This friday feels particularly excellent.
    From what I understand, beer thirty comes early in Wisco!
    have a blast.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Twist my arm, will ya? ;o) Damn those squiddy parts look good! I know just the place to get giant squid, and I'm going there tomorrow anyway. NB, I didn't see your recipe in the recipe section - where can I find it? And, my last squid venture was indoors on a cast iron griddle - I followed the Japanese technique of scoring the flesh (both sides) in diamonds. Do you do something similar with yours to keep them from curling?

• Nature Boy
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    here is the link to that recipe. I like to cook squid with bodies in the 6-10 inch long range. The larger ones are less tender. Never scored them. Curling is okay, as they are cut into rings anyways. And with the TURBO hot fire, they will cook up fine while slighlty curled. The pic I posted was just before removing from the grill. You can see the curling is no prob. [p]Though now that you mention it, cutting diamonds might be an interesting twist. It would look nice, as well as making it even a bit more tender. Hmmmm.[p]We just finished babybacks done with the rub you sent. I coated em heavy, waited an hour, then slathered with mustard and dusted another light coat. During the 5 hour cook, I sprayed with apple juice every 15 minutes after the first 2 hours. These were some of the finest ribs I have had. That rub really shines on ribs. Thanks for it.[p]Beers
    NB

[ul][li]Squid Recipe[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • PuppyBreath
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    is that picture edible...
    it's worth a thousand words...
    num num
    Pup

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Well, there's tonight's entree! I think the scoring is supposed to tenderize as well as prevent curling, and it does: never had a tough squiddy yet! And turbo temps would definitely be advantageous - I could only get my gasser up to 450º grill temp; can't wait to see how much better 700º is! Don't know if you know the book, but my favorite is Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art, by Shizuo Tsuji. It's THE BOOK for fish and fowl.
    Glad you enjoyed the rub. Let me know when you run low.