Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tacos Al Pastor

amini1
amini1 Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a good recipe for Al Pastor? I've Googled in both Spanish and English and found a huge array of recipes. Even if someone can point me to a cookbook, I'll buy it. Since they're spit cooked I would think we can adapt them fairly easily. I have an adobo recipe and a Oaxacan chile marinated pork recipe from Raichlen's BBQ Bible. I may be able to experiment with a combo of those.[p]Thanks for any and all help.

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    amini1,[p]Here is one idea![p]Beef, Roast, Texas BBQ Al Pastor

ROAST BEEF AL PASTOR
    1 John Casey has spent a lot of time in South Texas and has watched the Mexican cowboys cook over an open fire. Here is the way he says to make a perfect al pastor roast beef. First of all go to the best butcher you know and buy a good quality roast beef, a rump roast, that weighs between 6 and 8 pounds.
    2 Next, you go to the hardware store. Get a steel rod 4-5 feet long and 1/2 inch in diameter. Have one end of the rod sharpened so you can drive it into the ground. Drill 4 holes 6 inches apart at 2 feet, 2 1/2 feet, 3 feet, and so on. Each hole must accommodate a good-sized cotter pin, which is inserted through the hole at right angles to the rod. Thread a big flat washer onto the rod and let it rest on the cotter pin. These pins and washers keep the meat from sliding down the rod. The various holes allow you to adjust the distance between the meat and heat source, as necessary. Salt and pepper the roast, then impale the meat on the rod. Fix the washers below and above the meat, drive the rod into the ground at a 60 degree angle, and you have an alfresco spit.
    3 Now here is the way Casey says to build the perfect outdoor fire. Get the kids to find 2 logs that are well seasoned but not rotten. They should be about 3 feet long and at least 4 to 6 inches in diameter. Butt these logs into a right angle. Build a hardwood fire-oak, hickory, or pecan-in the crotch or the joint of the logs. Keep the meat on the rod which is hanging out over this fire about 3 feet above the heat. Turn the meat from time to time, Casey says the fire will smolder in the logs and that if you have everything positioned just so, you can go away at dawn and by 2 o'clock in the afternoon have a good dinner waiting.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: From: The Only Texas Cookbook, Texas Monthly Press, 1981 By: Linda West Eckhardt[p]Source: The Only Texas Cookbook

[p]

• Richard,
    you really need to change your name to "Obe Wan Recipe"... check your profile... another richard hijacked it.[p]richard is just too common. heck, my name is richard!

• Richard
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Are you insinuating there are just a bunch of D***'s hanging around here. LOL

• amini1
    Richard,[p]That's one of the goofiest recipes I've ever seen. Anyone that goes through that to cook roast beef needs to save up their money and buy an Egg.
  • Richard,
    ummmm... no.
    my dad is ****... i'm a junior... just don't call me little ****![p]call me Rick or riCHARD

• Richard
    amini1,
    Since you already have an egg, let your creative juices adapt to the BGE. LOL

• Richard
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    I am a "II" myself. Better get back to the ribeyes on the small.

• My brother in law has no Richards in his family.[p]So I just call him Dickless . . .
  • amini1,
    What net recipes did you find? I have found lots of courses on how to make them!

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    amini1,
    Tacos al pastor
    Authentic tacos al pastor consist of marinated pork slices cooked on a vertical rotisserie with a big chunk of pineapple on top. The cooked outside is shaved off and served in tortillas with salsa and fresh vegetables. Below is an adaptation for backyard cookers.[p]
    3 guijillo chilies
    3 pasilla negro chilies
    1/2 med onion chopped
    3-5 cloves garlic smashed
    1/2 t oregano
    1/2 t cumin
    1 t salt or to taste
    1 t blk pepper or to taste
    1/2 c white vinegar
    1/2 c pineapple juice
    1/2 c orange juice
    1 T achiote paste
    1 T brown sugar or pilloncillo
    2 lbs. boneless, country style pork ribs. Try to get the leaner ones that are not sliced from a pork butt.
    1 fresh pineapple
    1 or more whole onions, optional[p]Wash and toast chilies. Stem. De-vein and seed if desired. Soak in hot water until soft. Blend all except the pork, pineapple, and optional onions. Fry the mixture in a little oil for a few minutes to develop the flavors. This is your adobado. Cut pork into lg 1 1/2" chunks. Put into a ziploc and pour in adobado. Toss around to coat and marinate in the frig 24-72 hours. Turn and mix daily. Prep the pineapple and cut unto lg chunks the same size as the pork. Alternately thread the pork and pineapple onto large kabob skewers. You may want to add optional chunks of onions. Salt and pepper.
    Sear over a hot direct fire turning to brown all sides and move to indirect to finish cooking. Baste w/ left over adobado after boiling. You want a good sear on the outside. Chop up and mix to make a taco filling.
    Serve w/ wm tortillas, chopped lettuce, onions, and grated cheese. Fresh salsa, a red chili sauce, and a fresh hab salsa are the classic sauces.

• amini1
    amini1,[p]Thanks everyone. I'm going to try a few and will report back. The BBQ Bible has a couple I'll try and a man named Jim Peyton who has a cookbook named "El Norte: The Cuisine of Northern Mexico" responded to my email and said his recipe for Cochinita Pibil del Norte is very similar. I'm going to get his cookbook.[p]Win
  • Amini1,

Did you ever post about your experiences with these "tacos al pastor" recipes?? I was hoping to find out if any worked out well. I have just purchase a new cookbook called "Mod Mex" that has what looks like a very authentic recipe. It uses finely sliced pork butt marinated in the sauce and then cooked on a rotisserie. It even includes the pineapple on top, so you know that he's been to Mexico! If you haven't had any luck yet, let me know and I'll post the recipe....

aotm
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    That is another wanna be. I am still in florida.. How is the chutney?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Does these qualify. Richard FL

Tacos, Pork, Al Pastor
    Authentic tacos al pastor consist of marinated pork slices cooked on a vertical rotisserie with a big chunk of pineapple on top. The cooked outside is shaved off and served in tortillas with salsa and fresh vegetables. Below is an adaptation for backyard cookers.

INGREDIENTS:
    3 guijillo chilies
    3 pasilla negro chilies
    1/2 med onion chopped
    3-5 cloves garlic smashed
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp salt or to taste
    1 tsp blk pepper or to taste
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup pineapple juice
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 Tbs achiote paste
    1 Tbs brown sugar or pilloncillo
    2 lbs boneless, country style pork ribs. Try to get the leaner ones that are not sliced from a pork butt.
    1 fresh pineapple
    1 or more whole onions, optional

Procedure:
    1 Wash and toast chilies. Stem. De-vein and seed if desired. Soak in hot water until soft. Blend all except the pork, pineapple, and optional onions. Fry the mixture in a little oil for a few minutes to develop the flavors. This is your adobado. Cut pork into lg 1 1/2" chunks. Put into a ziploc and pour in adobado. Toss around to coat and marinate in the frig 24-72 hours. Turn and mix daily. Prep the pineapple and cut unto lg chunks the same size as the pork. Alternately thread the pork and pineapple onto large kabob skewers. You may want to add optional chunks of onions. Salt and pepper.
    2 Sear over a hot direct fire turning to brown all sides and move to indirect to finish cooking. Baste w/ left over adobado after boiling. You want a good sear on the outside. Chop up and mix to make a taco filling.
    3 Serve w/ wm tortillas, chopped lettuce, onions, and grated cheese. Fresh salsa, a red chili sauce, and a fresh hab salsa are the classic sauces.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, DTM, 09/28/07