Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven - Cabbage Soup

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is a great eatin soup.[p]I reseason the the dutch oven after cooking this due to the tomatoes. One could use a ss or aluminum pan if you didn't want to use a dutch oven.[p]Simmer to taste. This is also great over brown (or white) rice.[p]The following makes a LARGE BATCH (apx. 8 to 10 qt.) be prepared to freeze half or more - or - cut the qty's down.
6 large green onions (usually 1 bunch I use 2 bunches)
1 or 2 cans (28oz) tomatoes with juice (I use 2)
1 large cabbage
2 cans water (use the tomato cans)
2 green peppers
1 bunch celery
2 pkgs. Lipton soup (Beefy Onion)[p]The following is actually a diet soup from Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital. I followed it for one week and lost a huge amount of wait.[p]Used for overweight heart patients to lose rapidly, usually before surgery.) [p]
Kent

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Grandpas Grub, THANKS [p]i like this statement "is actually a diet soup from Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital. I followed it for one week and lost a huge amount of wait"[p]will try it

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    chefarnoldi,[p]Below are the instructions for wieght loss side of the soup. [p]But don't get this wrong this is a very tasty soup. We found two Italian resturants using this or something very close as an offering, $1.50 a cup and $2.50 a bowl.[p]I too lost a huge amount of weight during that week - 26 pounds.[p]First of all I guess I should make this disclaimer. Make sure you check with your doctor and that it is safe to diet.[p]INSTRUCTIONS from the hospital that was given with the recipe:[p]DAY ONE:
    All fruits, except bananas. Cantaloupes and watermelon are lower in calories than most fruits. Drink unsweetened tea, cranberry juice or water. (Drink water - loose more weight).[p]DAY TWO:
    All vegetables. Eat until you are stuffed with all the fresh, raw or canned vegetables. Try to eat green leafy vegetables and stay away from dry beans, peas and corn. Eat along with the soup. At dinner time reward yourself with a baked potatoes and butter. Do not eat any fruit.[p]DAY THREE:
    Eat all the soup, fruits and vegetables you want. Do not have a baked potato. If you have eaten for three days as above and have not cheated, you will find you have lost 5 to 7 pounds. Women will most always lose less than the man. The heavier the person the more they will lose (in the beginning first). [p]DAY FOUR:
    Bananas and skim milk. Eat as many as three bananas and drink as many glasses of water as you can on this day along with the soup. Bananas are high in calories and carbohydrates and so is milk, but on this particular day you body will need the potassium and the carbohydrates, proteins and calcium to lessen your cravings for sweets.[p]DAY FIVE:
    Beef and tomatoes. You may have 10-20 ounces of beef and a can of tomatoes or as many as six fresh tomatoes on this day. Try to drink at least 6-8 16oz.a glasses of water this day to wash away the acid in your body. Eat the soup at least once this day.[p]DAY SIX:
    Beef and vegetables. Eat to your heart’s content the beef and vegetables on this day. You can even have two or three steaks if you like with leafy vegetables but no baked potatoes. Be sure and eat the soup at least once today.[p]DAY SEVEN:
    Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juice and vegetables. Again stuff yourself. Be sure to have the soup at least once today.[p]At the end of the seventh day, if you have not cheated on the above diet you will have lost 10-17 pounds.[p]If you have lost more than 15 pounds go off the diet for two days before resuming the diet again for day one.[p]The seven day eating plan can be used as often as you like. As a matter of fact, if correctly followed, it will clean you system of impurities and give you a feeling of well-being as never before.[p]After only seven days of this process, you will begin to feel lighter by at least 17 pounds, having an abundance of energy. Continue this plan as long as you wish and feel the difference.[p]This diet is fast, fat-burning and the secret is that you will burn more calories than you take in. This diet does not lend itself to drinking any alcoholic beverages at any time because of the removal of fat build-up in your system. Go off the diet for at least 24 hours before any intake of alcohol.[p]Because everyone’s digestive system is different this diet will affect everyone differently. After day three you will have more energy than when you began if you do not cheat. After being on the diet for several days you will find your bowel movements have changed—eat a cup of bran or fiber. Although you can have black coffee with this diet, you may find that you don’t need the caffeine after the third day.[p]DEFINATE NO-NO’S: [p]Bread, alcohol, no carbonated drinks, including diet drinks, stick with water, unsweetened tea, black coffee unsweetened fruit juices, cranberry juice and skim milk (1%).[p]The basic Fat Burning Soup can be eaten anytime you feel hungry. Eat as much as you wish. Remember the more you eat, the more you will lose. No fried foods or bread. You can eat broiled or baked chicken instead of meat (absolutely no skin on the chicken).[p]Any prescribed medication will not hurt you on this diet. Continue this plan as long as you wish and feel the difference both mentally and physically. If you prefer, you; can substitute broiled fish for the beef only on one of the beef days. You will need high protein in the beef the other days.