Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket troubles

Options
nestler
nestler Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I attempted my first brisket the other day and it didn't go as well as I had hoped. It was a whole brisket (packer trimmed), but it was pretty small (five pounds). I had the brisket fat side down over a drip pan over a plate setter with a dome temp of 225. I was trying to hit an internal temp of 185, but this did not happen until 14 hours and 20 minutes later (I was expecting something more like 10 hours for a five pound brisket). At that point, I wrapped it in foil/towels and put it in a cooler for an hour. The end result seemed overcooked (not tough anymore but pretty dry).[p]A few questions:[p]1. 14 hours?[p]Why would it take 14 hours? I know about the plateau around 170, but this still seemed excessive (2.8 hours per pound).[p]2. fat side up or down?[p]I found conflicting information about whether to put the fat side up or down during the cook. The people that advocated fat side up said it would keep it moist due to fat dripping down. The people that advocated fat side down said putting the fat layer between the meat and the flame would protect the meat better.[p]I tried fat side down, but I suppose I will try fat side up next time instead.[p]3. half sugar / half rub?[p]Some recipes advocate adding equal parts sugar and some other rub. I only used a rub (it seemed like sugar would just blacken). Was this a mistake? Would a blackened layer of sugar help keep things moist? The rub layer was crusted but it was not black.[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    nestler,[p]You've been the 3rd victim this week.[p](IMO):[p]#1 To low of a temp - should have a dome temp around 300, so the pit temp is around 260ish[p]#2 Fat Side up[p]#3 Welcome![p]-Jeeves, Parmer/620ish
  • nestler,
    Sometimes the smaller briskets can take as long or longer than the larger ones. Although five pounds seems rather small for a full packer brisket. Bump your dome to 250.[p]I think you will find it is about 1/2 and 1/2 of the fat side. Personally I trim most of it off. I let the rub melt into the meat and wrap in saran wrap and into the fridge. When ready,it comes out and gets more rub and onto the egg.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    nestler,
    Have you checked your thermometer in boiling water?

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    nestler,
    dome 250=275, fatcap up. times can be frustrating but usually its just done when its done

• Citizen Q
    Options
    nestler,
    5 lbs is much too small to be a whole beef brisket, that's actually on the small side for a flat. Flats run anywhere from 3 to 9 lbs. A packer brisket should weigh in at over 10 lbs, my preference is for 14 to 16 pounders.[p]I've never done one with a platesetter, so I don't know if that gives enough heat deflection, I always use 4 firebricks covered with foil laid across the grate and I've found that fat side up delivers the most moist results with no burning on the bottom.[p]I use about 1/8 fine turbinado sugar and 1/8 coarse in my rub by volume. It really helps deliver a nice thick bark with no burnt flavor at all after cooking at 200-225 dome temp. I don't like to cook higher than that, the brisket definitely comes out drier and the longer it takes to work through the plateau, the more tender the meat. [p]Cheers,
    Sean

• Hoss's BBQ
    Options
    nestler,
    I think I agree that your temp was to low. I know that I cook very low now yet that was after cooking many briskets first. I prefer fat side up yet that is me. Trial and error will be involved in your attempts. Try to keep a log and only change one or two things on each try. If you change everything everytime you do a cook you will never have the same results, or know what is working and what is not. Hoss

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    nestler,[p]I am going to try a small brisket today too and have been looking for info on cooking one. It seems to be one of the more mysterious cooks with less information than the rest. I found this site yesterday, Barbecue on the Internet. After you read this page, be sure to read "Smokys Comments" at the bottom.[p]I'm also going to try a rub I haven't used before until last night made by Stubbs BBQ. I think I set the promo code in the link so just click this link and you should get it but if you don't, use code Red1107 for 10% off though November. I figure that the Texans are supposed to be good with cooking brisket so I'm ditching my own rub and going for something different. I've used their BBQ sauce before on pork chops back in a former life where a gasser was my main cooker but never tried the rub. I opened my bottle last night though and sprinkled some on one of my steaks I grilled (I'm getting the hang of the high temp stuff finally) and they came out great. [p]So I've got my brisket wrapped up in the fridge now with this rub on it, I'll let you know how it turns out tonight.
  • nestler
    Options
    Thanks for all of the helpful responses.[p]My meat thermometer was checked in boiling water the day before, so it was definitely accurate. I haven't checked the dome thermometer recently but have no reason to suspect it (no other cooks have been problematic). I will raise the dome temp next time and keep the brisket fat side up.[p]-nestler (Nutty Brown/290ish)