Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This little piggy was happy....

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_4878.jpg
<p />that it got BBQ'ed in the egg. Spent 5 hours in the plateau between 170-175 and the backyard had wiffs of bacon like aromas. This is what I'm eaten for lunch this week.

IMG_4880.jpg

IMG_4883.jpg

IMG_4886.jpg

Comments

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    ClayQ, What cut is that and did you do any brining or curing? It's beautiful.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Nice piece of pork there. You have a great butcher. I wish I could find a skin-on cut here, but everything I find is already trimmed.
  • ClayQ,
    I always wondered if you left the skin on or off. My local shop have some picnic with skin on and I was confused on how to cook it. Now I know, thanks for sharing and that is one good looking piece of pork. One question, did the fat in the skin keep the meat tender?[p]Andres

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    Options
    Zunibbq,

Can't answer for ClayQ, but I was fortunate to get a skin-on Berkshire pig shoulder a couple of weeks ago from a local farm. 18 hours in the egg, and it was truly excellent and moist. Best I've ever made.

- Ed
  • EdF
    Options
    Zunibbq,

Can't answer for ClayQ, but I was fortunate to get a skin-on Berkshire pig shoulder a couple of weeks ago from a local farm. 18 hours in the egg, and it was truly excellent and moist. Best I've ever made.

- Ed
  • EdF
    Options
    Zunibbq,

- Ed
  • EdF
    Options
    Zunibbq,

- Ed
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Scotty's Inferno,
    It's a picnic shoulder, an old fashion cut with the butt and bottom shank trimmed off a front leg. The meat is sweet, darker and makes a great pulled pork samitch. I just gotta work around a big leg bone.
    This would be excellent brined, mine was not.
    Thanks Scotty,
    Clay

• ClayQ,
    that is the REAL DEAL there, mon![p]5 hours on a plateau sounds like a great hike! how long total? how many pounds was that? did you pull at 200?

• Clay Q
    Options
    Fidel,
    The down side of skin on is I'm paying for it (weight) and it is greasy. I guess I just like the way it looks....remindes me of a traditional whole pig roast. This was a fun cook and the meat is oh so tender and flavorful.
    Thanks,
    Clay

• Clay Q
    Options
    Zunibbq,
    Slow roasten in the egg....that piggy would be tender skin on or skin off. With skin on there is less edible 'bark' but it looks real nice with it on. Cook it just like a regular pork shoulder, mop some sauce once or twice and enjoy the aromas.
    Clay

• Clay Q
    Options
    IMG_0370-2.jpg
    <p />Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Pulled at 195. This baby stalled during the plateau like no other. Sure was fun just to let'er do it's thing and that's the way it goes, and it's done when it's done. I don't know weight...on the small side so piggy was a young'un. Cooked at 235 dome.[p]Here is another one I did luau island style. Dem is real banana leaves.

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

• DonDon
    Options
    ClayQ,
    I've got loads of them around my patio and have been wanting to do some cooking with them. Bout the only thing I cold think of was fish in them. Didn't know if I needed to soak them even thouigh they are green or what