Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pull Pork Question ??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first pulled pork with a boston butt.Read archives,going low and slow to 175 meat temp.,then up the dome temp and get meat temp to 195-200
Questions ;
1)Will I gain any thing with a brine soak prior to the rub?
2)If yes to #1 do I leave the salt out of my rub,OR is the rub even neccessary?
Thanks to all who respond.
GaryJ

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    GaryJ,
    I have personally never brined a butt...and as far as your temps go..if time isn`t a consideration I would leave the dome temp at around 200° to 250° for the entire cook...no need to raise the temp at the end unless you need to be done for guests..go to an internal of 200° and then let rest for 30 mins and it will fall apart...I rub and wrap for 24 hrs. in the fridge prior to the cook..but never brined..let us know if you choose to do the brine, how it turns out..I dont think you would gain anything by brining..[p]Wess

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    GaryJ,
    The benefit of a brine on a fatty piece of meat like that will be minimal. I would skip the brine. If you do brine, definitely nix the salt in the rub.[p]Some others cook butts real low, but I like 250 for the duration, unless I am trying to stretch the cook out for timing reasons. Kick up your temp after 175 internal only if you are behind schedule.[p]HTH
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    WessB,
    You know what they say about great minds.
    We still need to hook up for some brews.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    GaryJ, Hello Gary, if you follow what WessB said, you won't go wrong! Thats what I do and I've never had a bad one yet. I usually pull at anywhere from low 190s to 200+ some. Depends mostly upon when I look at the thermometer, sometimes I am 'busy' with other things, sometimes I'm hungry and kinda watch over the cook real close. ;)
    Either way, the PP is always good. HTH
    ChefRD

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Very soon my friend...got lots goin on right now..and just for the record I did a REAL brisket recently...a little less than I expected but still very good...will let ya know in the next 2 or 3 weeks..and looking forward to it i might add...[p]Wess

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Nature Boy:[p]Like you say, brining a piece of meat high in fat content is of no benefit. Soaking this same piece of meat in "Q" related spices for a few days is another matter . . .
  • djm5x9,
    Once again my questions have been answered.
    High fat meat= No brine.
    Case closed,this boston butt is getting a rub and a low and slow to 200 internal.
    Thanks to all, beers are on me!
    GaryJ[p]

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    GaryJ,[p]Use the rub, no brine as you have been told already. Two important things about cooking pulled pork:[p]1. When the temp gets to 156-165 degrees keep it there as long as possible. The meat will help out naturally as the temp will stall when it gets there. That is the magical range were the collogen breaks down, the fat renders and what starts out as a very fatty, tough piece of meat will end up very lean and falling apart.[p]2. Cook it until the internal temp reaches 200 degrees. It's alright to bump up the dome temp after the internal meat temp gets to 175 degrees or so to get it there faster. You've gotten past the magical temperature zone at this point. It is amazing the difference between pulled pork taken off at 190 degrees and 200 degrees. Definately wait until 200 degrees.[p]BTW, make mine a Chimay!!!![p]Mr Beer