Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Gourmet" Turkey? Yawn.

Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
My issue of Gourmet Magazine arrived sporting a picture-perfect turkey on the cover, same as every other magazine this time of year! To be fair, I didn't read the Thanksgiving article but I did glance at the roasting procedure. No brining, injecting, or marinating the turkey, and it was roasted in a conventional oven. From reading all the Turkey Posts recently, I'd have to give the BGE turkeys a huge edge over the "Gourmet" variety both for taste and for Joy of Preparation.
Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• Gretl, I agree. But you got to remember, most who eat Gourmet food, probably eat it because someone else prepares it. I have become amazed at how many people in our country can't cook. They never learned. I guess, they never had any good cooking roll-models, so they just hire someone to feed them. We ceramic gourmets are very blessed. I have taught my butler to do quite well with my Egg. He still talks funny and walks with his nose up in the air, but kicks-butt with charcoal. :)

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    King-O-Coals,[p]You may be right. I've never really wanted a butler - now a French maid....[p]Jethro
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    King-O-Coals,
    Now I'm laughing out loud. Yeah, and my maid sure does a great job cleaning up all those charcoal smudges on the marble threshold.
    Cheers,
    G.[p]p.s. I love to see those fancy custom-designed kitchens whose freezers are filled with Lean Cuisine and Hungry Man dinners, too.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    King-O-Coals,[p]I hear you and agree totally. We have been "scratch" cooks for many years, with the Egg adding to what flavors and textures we can create in a meal.[p]Two weeks ago, the doctors at Hahnemann University Hospital (Phila. PA - heart failure and transplant) informed us that we need to double the sodium intake and increase liquid intake in Sue's (the much better half) diet. They all (four of them) admitted that they had never recommended such a thing to a cardiac patient before.[p]We returned today from another visit with the sodium recommendation being "go for double again". The doctors were pleased with the progress and unanimously agreed that adding sodium is a lot easier than subtracting it from a diet.[p]Home cooking be very good. Using the Egg for home cooking be better.[p]Spin
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Jethro,
    I'm with you on the French Maid thing![p]Now, about the 'gourmet' turkey...Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It's all about the 3 F's...Food, Family and Football! I mean...what better holiday is there than to celebrate with your family over a great meal!
    I look forward to doing my turkey every year and this year, I don't have to baby-sit the water-pan smoker all night! I'll do my "practice" turkey on the 14th! And throwing some extra necks in the egg for a friend who will then make...Smoked Turkey Neck Gumbo!
    Ok...I'm now officially hungry...time to get the country pork ribs ready for dinner!

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Spin,
    That's great news, Spin. Best to you and Sue from Qfan1, 2 and 2.5 (Hannah)! Break out the brined foods and salt-encrusted prime rib!
    BBQfan1

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    BBQfan1,[p]LOL! They didn't raise the limit that much - yet![p]Best to you and yours,
    Spin