Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand new user

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought an egg after seeing one in a local Ace Hardware store and reading a lot about it.[p]My wife and I traditionally grill well in excess of 100 days a year through all four seasons. The egg is a completely different experience for us though. I'd like to start simple, burgers, steaks, chicken etc. Then I'll move to more sophisticated dishes. My first two attempts were satisfactory but not outstanding, burgers and steaks. I couldn't get the egg above about 500 degrees and cooked both at 425 to 450 or so. I filled the charcoal to about an inch above the air holes and opened both the bottom screened vent and top vent completely.[p]Should I have cooked it hotter by using more coals or applying some other method? [p]On Wednesday we are going to try a pizza. She already has a ceramic pizza stone. Do we need a plate setter? [p]Have any of you used "Pampered Chef" ceramics? Are they suitable for the Egg?[p]Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.[p]Thanks,
Dan T[p]

Comments

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    dan t,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of the Big Green Egg. Your cooking will improve as you learn to use this fantastik cooker. [p]Cooking Pizza ?? I have the setup that most of the forum people recommended explained on my web site. I will post a link below. [p]Have fun ... Pizza is totally killer on the egg. You sometimes have to "tweak" your setup / temp / times / etc. for your individual crust, taste, toppings / etc. Some people also "prebake" their crust for a couple of minutes, then take it out and put on the toppings and back in to finish baking. [p]Setup at link below. [p]
    Link supplied in compliance with this forum's rules and policies.

[ul][li]Pizza Setup - BGE Support Section - www.fredsmusicandbbq.com[/ul]
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • BlueRidge
    Options
    dan t,
    Hi Dan,
    I'm new to this stuff too. I brought a large home in July. I have found this forum to be invaluable for simple questions and for ideas about what can be done on the egg. [p]If you haven't already, you should spend some time looking at "the naked whiz". He has set up an amazing website that gives great instruction about setting a fire in the egg, avoiding burns from flash-back's, recipes and much more. I honestly cann't imagine the successes I've had with this cooker without that website and this forum.[p]Try the "t-rex" method of steak detailed at the naked whiz site and you will not be sorry! Also, that spatchocked chicken is to die for....[p]As far as pizza, I remember several here showing photo's of broked pampered chef pizza stones but I cann't speak directly to that. The plate setter is a GREAT edition if you don't already have one as it allows for easy indirect cooks. I have only done pizza with a plate setter and a stone together....[p][p]Best of luck,
    Jay

• BlueRidge
    Options
    BlueRidge,
    Sorry, forgot to post the link[p][p]

[ul][li]http://nakedwhiz.com/[/ul]
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    dan t,[p]Somewhat new hee too with a large. You have already been given links which are great and you should visit them.[p]As long as your fire box is aligned with the bottom vent as shown on the DVD and in the instructions you should have pegged the thermometer well over 600°.[p]Strongly suggest for a while anyway to keep your egg under 450° or 500°. I start my egg like you explained and once it gets to about 400° if I am not watching it it will jump to those high temps quickly.[p]Cooking as much as you do you will love the egg.[p]Congratulations and welcom to the egg world.[p]Kent
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    dan t,[p]Congrats on your purchase. You'll learn to love the egg.[p]I used a pampered chef pizza stone a few times and is quickly discolored and my wife was none too happy. There are reports of them eventually breaking in the egg. I did not have that problem, but I did buy the BGE stone and it works very well. It is much heavier and holds heat very well for multiple pies.[p]As for your temp problem, double check the alignment of the firebox (the bottom internal piece) to make sure air can flow in. There should be no problems getting the egg to 600* or more in 15-20 minutes. Do not just open the top vent - remove the cap entirely. The chimney effect will get it roaring in no time.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    dan t,
    Welcome to the clan. You have no idea yet what great taste treats await you. You don't need high temps for burgers. Try 1/2 lb patties, ground chuck @ 80/20 seems to work good, season to taste, add a little wooster, use some wood chunks for smoke (wait for the bitter white smoke to settle down), cook direct on a raised grid @ 250º for about 20 min/side, pull at 150º. Have patience, and enjoy some of the best, juicy burgers you ever had.
    Mike