Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

kaje62

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a part of a traditional foods group here in MN. We eat a lot of meat (especially grassfed and are passionate about eating) I was asked by the admin to write a report about our fest on Saturday. Here is what I wrote. Tell me what I missed I would love to hear your input. I am also adding what the admin wrote first[p]Oh, no, Kathy Jo, you gotta do better than that! No one else knows what you did![p] BACKGROUND FOR EVERYONE ELSE: Kathy Jo jumped ahead of the rest of us and purchased a
slightly used BIG GREEN EGG (LARGE SIZE) off of Craigslist and then, catch this, was lucky
enough to attend the annual festival for Big Green Eggheads.[p] She told me over the phone about all the recipes and incredible stories from the event last
Saturday and she has the "homework assignment" to write a report for the group. WE WANT
TO KNOW EVERYTHING![p] In case you didn't know, these elephantine ceramic BBQ grills may just be the ultimate in
cooking. We love the fact that the dripping fat never touches the fire or coals so therefore, no
carcinogenic nitrosamines. That, plus the fact that the food approaches HEAVENLY.[p] So, come on Kathy Jo, give it up....[p] so here is what I wrote[p]ok there were 21 eggs and cooks/chefs/newbie chefs cooking up and maybe 35 attendees[p]These people are serious about cooking and all are trying to outdo each other. They cooked and we ate:[p]lefse, salmon, three kinds of bread, gumbo, potatoe chowder, shrimp, five kinds of jalapeno poppers, brats, pork loin, two types of pork tenderloin, one was stuffed with mustard and sauerkraut, here is a picture of that[p]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/DustinAnna/Eggfest/100_1554.jpg[p]mango brie quesadilla, three kinds of chicken, one with mango salsa, two types of chicken wings, (one the best I ever had and Jerry agrees) leg of lamb, bell peppers and onions served with feta, roadkill sandwhiches (which is a fancy cheeseburger on the grill), caramel rolls, peach cobbler, two types of stuffed mushrooms. one with elk and wild rice, venison roast, mashed potatoes, [p]here is a pic of those[p]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb260/kjbprice/MidwestEgg07/P1010558.jpg[p]meatloaf, grilled pineapple[p]One guy from AZ had his pocket theromoter which was like a $75.00 tool and he did not take his chicken wings off until they were exactly right at 210. This is his 5th eggfest this year.[p] actually met a woman that knew my dad 30 years ago. That brought tears to my eyes. She helped my dad and his best friend open up the first Minerva's in Sioux Falls in 1976 which out does Kinkaids all day long! Here she is with her salmon[p]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb260/kjbprice/MidwestEgg07/P1010553Small.jpg[p]The beauty about the Big Green Egg is that it retains it's moisture becuase it is totally concealed. The other thing is that every food mentioned except the feta and mangos were cooked on the egg! There was tons of enthusiasm about cooking and it was a fun day. Water and pop and a t-shirt was included in the $25.00 charge for our family. We ate breakfast and lunch there and left so full that we had popcorn for dinner.[p]It was a riot! and yes I am proud to be an egghead. We had the best brisket here at home on the egg tonite.[p][p]

Comments

• dbishop
    Options
    Need helping writing a report on Midwest Eggfest,
    This is a great report you might have to take a position as roving reporter for the BGE. Glad to hear your brisket turned out well, it might just be a myth that you have to cook brisket 15-17 hrs. We can throw away our maverick's and sleep better.
    DB