Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Injection

Options
Bob In Texas
Bob In Texas Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there any particular brand or type of Meat Injector to be used for brisket / pork butt, and what would be the best liquid to use on either?

Comments

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    Bob In Texas,[p]
    Once again, thirdeye's great info:

[ul][li]http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1999/05/injections.html[/ul]
  • Bob In Texas
    Options
    Jeeves, thanks for the info. I went into the archives, and noticed something a little different from what I have been following on previous post. Most all have said to do pork butt
    1½ - 2 hours per pound, but Chris Lilly's recipe noted to do 1 hour per pound @ 225°then pulling off. Would you recommend 200°-225° grill temp. using the ET-73, and going up to 195°internal, then pulling it off the smoker no matter what the hours were? I am cooking for about 20 (family) and would like to save face when I present it after bragging so much on the BGE.

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Bob In Texas,[p]Try a search for Rick's Sinful Marinade. You an inject it as well. I used for the first time as a marinade this weekend and took 4th in brisket.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Bob In Texas,[p]Forgot to say that Cajun Injectors make some good stuff like a creole garlic, french onion and a few others.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Bob In Texas,
    Cook the butt until it reaches 190F- 200F internal. Don't use the times as anything other than an estimation. "It's done when it's done", I've so often heard on this forum. The reason is that the fat and collegen are going to be different for every piece of meat, therefore the cooking times will be different.
    As far as injecting goes, I haven't injected any pork butts in years, and never had any moisture troubles. Be cautious of the commercial injection products as they seem to add so much grease to the meat that any flavor that imparts is not worth it...to ME! Make your own from some of the recipes here on the forum and you'll be fine. When ever I inject, my rule of thumbs is, if it doesn't taste good before I put it into the meat, It won't taste good in the meat!
    You'll do great and really impress... Good Luck.
    Big'un