Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A basic brine?

Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know there are as many brine mixes as there are people out there but, is there a "rule of thumb" mix to go by that anyone knows of?
Thanks
Carey

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Sundown,
    Follow up question to that: what type of container to use?
    Can I use a stock pot as I don't think I have a large enough plastic one with a lid. (Not sure I've got a pot that will fit in the refrig that will hold a 20 pound bird either.)

• Sundown, I think the most important thing to remember is to keep your brine solution in the ratio of 1 gal. of water to 1 cup of kosher salt or 1/2 cup regular table salt. I made a brine last night to soak a turkey breast.Here is what I did,2 gals. water 2 cups kosher salt 1.5 cups light brown sugar 2 garlic cloves crushed and chopped. Twig of fresh rosemary and oregano. Of the 2 gals. of water I needed I took 1/2 gal. and heated to dissolve the salt and suger and infuse the garlic, rosemary, and oregano then added the remaining 1.5 gals. of cold water. I will soak the turkey breast for about 24-28 hours. Be vary sure that you rinse the meat well before you put it on the egg. Hope this helps. Good luck!!
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Sundown,[p]The most basic brine is 1 cup of water to 1 gallon of water. Everything else is flavorings added to the brine mixture.[p]Spin
  • Spin
    Shelby,[p]I've had good success using an Igloo 5 gallon water cooler (the kind you see strapped on utility trucks). I add the brine and bird, then add ice in plastic bags on top. The bags keep the brine cool and help hold the bird submerged. I have done a 25.5 lb bird in it. It won't one much bigger![p]Spin
  • Spin
    Spin,[p]If you change that 1 cup of water to 1 cup of kosher salt, I would most appreciate it :-}.[p]Spin
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Spin,
    Excellent idea!

• Sundown,[p]a few weeks back, someone mentioned that the current issue of Cooks Illustrated has an article on brining. I picked it up and the article is very enlightening. You should check it out if you get a chance.[p]Kevin

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Sundown,[p]Well, I believe a basic brine consists of 1 gallon of water, at least 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar. Every thing else past that is for taste.[p]You have to have something that will marinate the meat. A combination of something very acidic with salt will usually do the trick.[p]This is why I use lemon and pepper with salt on fish. Or salt with vinegar on certain meats. Now I don't just use these by themselves. I always add more basil or honey (sugar) and so on for flavor. Whatever tastes good to you on these dishes is what should go in your brine.[p]You have to have something acicid with salt, then anything else for flavor to make a good brine.[p]IMHO
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]