Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buffalo burgers and steaks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried Buffalo meat on an egg?
I had a Buffalo Burger (fried) the other day, and was surprised at how good--and juicy-- it was!
Is Buffalo always that good?
How is a Buffalo Rib Eye?

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Lipster:[p]If you do buffalo ribs cook them at 200º direct on your upper grill (or raise one with fire bricks) for six or seven hours. These ribs are a true long low temperature cook.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    djm5x9, why?, are they fairly high in fat content?[p]Mop

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Mop:[p]No more than normal beef ribs, but with the longer cook they are very tender. Not so with a shorter cook.[p]Last weekend I did my best beef rib cook. Excellent looking ribs with no fat on the outer side and some (varied in amount and thickness) in the inner side. Cooked direct on the upper rack for eleven (11) hours at 180º to 200º. Tender and tasty, and they were not dryed out as you may expect for such a long cook. Brushed with Shake's sauce for the last three hours. When they do not stay on the serving platter long they must have been good!
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Lipster,
    Just last night I had Buffalo and Elk meatloaf at a restaurant here in Atlanta, very good, a little different.
    Mark

• Trout Bum
    Options
    Lipster,
    Buffalo meat is excellant. I've had many Buffalo burgers. They're cooked the same as hamburgers are. The meat has an excellant flavor and is nice in juicy if you don't over cook it.
    B D

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Lipster,
    There's a buffalo farm down the road from us, and we have cooked all the usual parts. In general buffalo (American bison) is very lean - about that of Turkey breast. But in the egg, enough moisture is retained so it doesn't dry out. Most cooks are fast and high temp. The ribs mentioned below really do take a long time at very low temps, and at least for us, were difficult to master until the 3rd or 4th cook. The hamburgers - flavored anyway you want are great at about 600 for 3 minutes a side and about 3 more minutes to dwell.
    Enjoy,
    Marvin

• Lipster,[p]Had buffalo jerky a couple of weeks ago and it was great.[p]K