Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Chicken

TomCPA
TomCPA Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I did my first one last night. Not as difficult as I thought to cut the backbone out. Rubbed with olive oil, kosher salt and ground peppercorn melange with Parkay squeeze margarine on top for some additional flavor.[p]Even though I pulled it off after over one hour and temperature of chicken was 180 and dark meat was 195, it was still very juicy. My problem was when I took it off, it was so moist it fell apart. So I don't have any pictures.[p]However, I have no leftovers. It seems my 4 well-fed dogs wanted the leftovers. I suspect they climbed one on top of the other, took the plate it was on and off they went. I discovered their chicanery when I went back into the kitchen to find the plate on the floor, chicken all over the place and four dogs enjoying this delicious dish. They even licked the floor clean.[p]Tom

Comments

• TomCPA,
    when i bring food into the house off of the eggs, particularly t-rex steaks for their 'rest' phase, the only safe place to store them away from the dog is in the microwave oven. .. i figure if she can figure out how to open that door on her own, then she deserves the food. ..

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Max, [p]I am still catching up on my sleep from Wednesday, so when I first read this I thought you said you put the dog in the microwave! LOL! My first thought: if that's the case, I am going to need a bigger microwave! I am going to take a nap later.[p]Smart place to put the food to keep it out of reach of the canines. I don't know why it never dawned on me to do that.[p]These guys are creative. I had smoked sausage the other night and my back was turned. I saw a bright flash of tan and white running away and when I looked up the plate is missing and relocated to the floor, the sausage was rapidly disappearing because three other dogs were feasting on what the other left. The wife is laughing and I'm ticked because that was my lunch and dinner for a couple of days. Needless to say, I should have learned my lesson on Sunday.[p]Tom
  • I had a way toooo short dog nab a T-Rex from me last week. From that point forward I put it on top of a 6 foot cabinet. I feel the same, if they can get it then well m ore power to them ;).[p]Take care,[p]Brian

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    TomCPA,
    Remember it's the dogs this week, next week, it'll be the neighbors!

• BBQ'd Dude,
    had one night not too long ago that i left part of a chicken carcus on the cutting board and when i turned my head, duffy had it in her mouth....so there i am on the kitchen floor, wrestling with a 115 pound dog, sitting on her chest, prying it loose from her jaws of steel!! . ..geez. ..

• Big'un,[p]I have a corner lot, near a park where several people walk their dogs. I have so many stop by, ask what is that "green thing" on my patio and tell me they can come for dinner because it smells so good. I invite them, but they chicken out (get it! Chicken out! Shows at 8 & 10!). [p]There was one woman (and I have to say, very attractive) who stopped once to chat with me. I told her I was making brisket in one smoker and chicken (I think)on the BGE. She said, "Wow, it all smells so good. If I lived next door I would be over all the time and weigh 300 lbs." Well, I invited her over and she said the husband would be ticked because he thinks he's the world's greatest griller and she said, "It's not that great. I just humour him." I asked what they have and she said, "Gas." I just rolled my eyes, laughed and told her to bring him by as well and he could taste the difference. I then pointed to my gas grill and told her, "I only use it to keep food warm." I told her where to get the BGE. She walks by every so often and tells me she is thinking about it.[p]Tom
  • TomCPA,
    I made my first spatchcocked chicken last weekend, I made an extra one for monday night.. I shreaded it apart and reheated it in chicken broth and lawrys salt. Then made shreaded chicken sandwiches. It was really good.[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Same here with my Rottie. He watches the process from prep to finish. Watch out for the puddles of drool in the kitchen. Last week I caught in the act of borrowing a fresh rib eye from the cutting board. From now on, there is one steak for the dogs. They like it very rare, light on the rub.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • hoss450,[p]That's good to know. I might make it again over the weekend since, as I said, I have no darn leftovers![p]Tom

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Tom CPA,
    Maybe she has a sister that you need to meet!