Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anybody know the recipe being discussed below?[p]Thanks. [p](Other duck advice welcome too.)
[ul][li]Duck[/ul]

Comments

• barbes,
    Don't know how they did it the photos so this is how I do it about once a month.
    I spatchcock the duck, remove all visible fat and pierce skin all over the duck with fork so the fat drains off. I make incisions ins several places including breast, thighs big enough to insert sliced fresh ginger, 1/8"? thick and one garlic clove cut length wise into quarters or eigths depending on size. Season liberally with salt and pepper. If your looking for more spices, try adding chinese 5 spice seasoning. Cinammon and anise also work well with duck.
    Using a drip pan to catch the fat is a must. I cook indirect until the thickest part of the inner thigh is 170 degrees. I prefer my duck rare which is when juices run clear, not bloody.
    I make a wicked peanut sauce that goes great if you want the recipe.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    barbes,
    Does this help?[p] Duck, Whole, BGE, Djm5x9

[p]Ingredients
    2 whole ducks
    1/4 cup favorite rub
    or for marinade
    Yoshida’s Gourmet Sauce
    teriyaki sauce
    crushed garlic
    lemon juice
    water

Prparation
    1 Cut the backbone out of your birds,
    2 Dust with your favorite rub or
    3 For something a little different, instead of a rub, use the marinade of Yoshida’s Gourmet Sauce, teriyaki sauce, crushed garlic, lemon juice, and enough water to cover ducks. Mix the liquid per your taste before adding the ducks. Marinate in the refrigerator a couple of hours prior to the cook.
    Cooking
    1 Pre-heat the cooker to 200º dome.
    2 Lay the ducks on the grill cavity side down.
    3 Via whatever set-up allows - elevated racks, etc. - get those birds in the upper dome area to capitalize on the convection activity. This should be a direct cook so do not incorporate plate setters, drip pans or the like in your set-up.
    4 Pecan or fruit wood goes well with duck if you care for a little smoke, just a couple of chunks will do it.
    5 Let the birds (you have to do at least two!) cook for four to five hours with out turning. If you feel more comfortable cooking at a higher dome, keep it as low as possible. The goal is to render as much fat as possible.
    6 As the cook nears completion, raise the dome temperature to crisp the skin.
    Notes
    1 The key to success with this cook is not to over cook and dry the birds out. Likewise, if you under cook them it will be tough and pull dentures out. Think "low and slow" pork butt and you will do just fine. A nice long "low and slow" will render much of the fat if you do it right.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: djm5x9[p]Source: BGE Forum, Djm5x9, 03/31/03

[p]

[ul][li]http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2003/messages/70267.htm[/ul]
  • eggerave,[p]Thanks (yes on the peanut sauce, please). Direct, I assume, at what temperature?
  • Richard,[p]That certainly looks like it -- thanks. I've had trouble rendering enough of the fat out, this looks worth a try.
  • Richard,
    How do you deal with the fat without a drip pan?

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Crawdaddy,
    You are probably referring to a recipe that I just posted a link to from '03. Here is how I do my duck.[p]Duck, Whole, Richard
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    1 3-5 Lb. Duck, Whole
    *********MARINADE********
    6-8 Whole Garlic Cloves
    1/2 Medium Onion, prefer sweet, but they all work
    1/2 Cup Rosemary, Fresh, if available
    1 1/2-2 Cups Italian Salad Dressing
    Black pepper, Fresh Ground, to taste
    2-3 Lemons, Juice only
    1/2 Cup Teriyaki Sauce, Optional but great if you like the flavor
    ½ Tsp Chinese 5-Spice, Optional, use sparingly because it can overpower the duck!!

Directions:
    1 Place the ingredients in a blender and course puree, save some of the whole rosemary to sprinkle on the duck and fire. Pierce the duck with many tiny drain holes. This helps the marinade get in and the grease to get out. In a large container marinate 4-6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator
    2 I have a large BGE and I get it set up for an indirect with drip pan beneath with water, beer or apple juice, 2-3 cups. Get BGE to 325°-350°F. Place duck on a vertical rack and cook about 60-90 minutes. Have no clue about internal temperature Baste every 20 minutes or so with leftover marinade from drip pan. After 20 years of doing this in the oven and now BGE for last 4, I just kinda eyeball the bird like other poultry for doneness. CAREFUL not to dry out. Or you can slow cook 225F-250F for 4-5 hours indirect.
    3 If you have fresh rosemary the left over branches are great for smoke. For wood: I have used hickory, cherry, guava and a few others I have forgotten about. I do not like a lot of smoke because the duck can be over powered and it is an acquired flavor just to like duck for many people.
    *********SIDE DISHES********
    1 Fresh asparagus, Uncle Ben's Original Wild rice w/chopped water chestnuts, pine nuts, and diced scallions. Ronrico has a pecan flavored rice in most grocery stores that is to die for with this dish. Also a couple of sweet onions quartered in heavy aluminum foil with pat butter, little powdered chicken boullion, pepper, tightly wrapped and placed on BGE for 30-45 minutes until soft to touch, IT'S HOT.
    2 Nice bottle of your favorite wine.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe[p]Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 05/25/90[p]01/29/06--Cooked a 6.3# bird today, marinated overnight added 4oz soy sauce and 1/2 tbs 5 spice chinese seasoning and placed vertical indirect @300 for 1 1/2 hours, breast temp @140, removed indirect and set direct @ 300 for 30 min temp 140'ish. shut down BGE and left bird in 1/2 hour. Total time in BGE 2 1/2-2 3/4 hours. Placed tapioca starch of skin and it was good, but due to low temps did not get crispy, my choice. This internal temp 140-145 does not dry out the duck.

[p]

• Richard,[p]I have the same question as Crawdaddy -- is it OK to let two ducks worth of fat just go into the fire during this cook?[p]Thanks again.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    100_1114.jpg
    <p />barbes,
    yep, works fine just as long as you keep the temps down you dont get that sooty taste from the burning fat. these were done between 225 and 250 stuffed with some fruit. skin comes out crispy if you cook it long enough and it wont be greasy tasting like what happens when you cook it at roasting temps. only fill the egg half way and use a raised grate, works just as well with a full load of chicken thighs at these temps cooking direct for a littl over 2 hours. low and slow duck is real good

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,[p]Sounds great. Thank you.