Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Nights Beef Short Ribs

Options
duckegg
duckegg Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Came out fantastic!
Individual ribs cooked at 250 on raised grid over drip pan with apple juice and vinager for about 5 hours. Sprayed with same every hour or so. Used Hickory chunks for smoke. They were great. Camera battery was dead and couldn't wait to eat them.
Probably would have been arrested for posting pics of them anyway.

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    duckegg,[p]I bought some yesterday, not really knowing what to do with them. Were your's pretty thick? Mine are only about 1-1/2 inches. I'll try your method, but I dont' know for sure what internal temperature should be. I guess around 140°.[p]Thanks
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    CloseUpCooked.jpg
    <p />DynaGreaseball,[p]Beef short ribs have a lot of gristle in them. They are better done low and slow, and even at that, they may have slabs of gristle that are extremely chewy. The ones pictured above were fairly thick to begin with, and if I recall correctly, took about 5.5 hours, with mopping during the last 2 hours every 30 minutes. As you can see, the meat really pulled back from the bone. Most of the pieces were acceptably tender, just required a good bite. [p]I recently had some organic beef short ribs from animals that mostly grazed on grass. The flavor was outstanding, but after Egging them for 2 hours, and then finishing them in a Dutch oven for about 1.5 hr., there were still slabs of gristle like leather. Fortunately by that point, the meat could be pulled away from the gristle with ease.[p]gdenby

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    gdenby,[p]OK. I just put them on at 3:00pm after using yellow mustard, and pecan rub. I guess they'll be ready around 8:00 or 8:30 tonight. I won't let my expectations get too high.[p]It seems I remember seeing short ribs in those sweet and sour asian WOK meals, where they had the life cooked out of 'em. Hope I'm wrong. Hey, maybe I should get a wok and a spider next. Oh well, it's the journey, not the destination, right? No...that was Harleys. This can just be a dry run for when I have enough confidence to buy one of those expensive beef rib roasts, and try cooking those.[p]Thanks for the advice and great pix.
  • duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    1 1/2 inches sounds about right, I figured it would be tough getting an accurate internal temp with all that bone so I just used the ol' toothpick test on them. They were superbly tender and NO gristle. My wife and dog loved them and she is not a big beef lover. The dog, yup.