Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Sauce as a Wing Marinade?

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've heard about this but I haven't tried it and I don't have a recipe.[p]Apparently if you marinate wings in hot sauce for a couple of days, then slow cook them on the grill, you'll end up with very tasty, tender wings.[p]Has anyone tried this? I might have to experiment with this some time soon.

Comments

• BluesnBBQ,
    I marinate mine in 2 parts Frank's Hot Sauce (It's kinda mild but I don't like pain) and 1 part EVOL. and let set over night and grill direct. They are great.
    DB

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I don't know about marinating them for a couple days but overnight will add some flavor depending on the ingredients of the hot sauce used. Steven Raichlen has a recipe that uses hot sauce and melted butter. I believe the butter has properties that work well as a marinade. Once cooled the hot sauce mixture has a weird, thick consistency but marinates the wings very well. You only need a few hours in fact.
  • Just Plain Mike
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    I have used the texas pete receipe and it's good. Is also simple. I cooked the wings on the grill and then added the texas pete sauce. You can usually find the texas pete in 32 oz bottles at Sams or Costco for a good price. [p]http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1941,135191-245195,00.html

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    I've used hot sauce and melted butter on wings, but when I do that I coat the wings with the sauce after they've been grilled. The method I heard about uses just the sauce as a marinade.
  • BluesnBBQ,
    Works great. I only marinate for up to 24 hrs, any more is probably excessive. Whatever hotsauce you got will do, TX Pete's, Louisiana, Cholula, etc. If you really want some fire use Habanero sauce. Smoke direct on a raised grid w/ hickory or cherry or whatever. Great flavor and you don't have to sauce.

• BluesnBBQ,
    wings are excellent off the egg. I use a spicy chicken rub (i mix up my own, but any premixed will work), throw in an entire bottle of cholula, some whole garlic cloves (peeled), let them sit over night. I use freezer sized ziplock bags so I can flip them over every couple of hours. Cooking I use dry hickory at about 300, put a single layer on the grill and shut the lid. check every couple of minutes. They are spicy but not sloppy. Good finger type food without, the mess of traditional hot wings with a good smoky flavor. Always a big hit.

• Suck Creek Wings
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]It works very well in my experience. Just marinate in your favorite hot sauce over night and then prepare however you prefer.
  • amini1
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I usually just brine them and coat them with sauce after cooking as you mention. I did try the Raichlen thing successfully before and they needed no sauce.[p]Win
  • amini1
    Options
    Suck Creek Wings,[p]I know some may say it's a waste of sauce but does your sauce work well as a marinade or do you just use Red Hot or whatever your favorite is as a marinade?[p]I really need to get a bottle of your sauce. I've tried almost every bottled sauce out there and found a grand total of one brand that I'll buy on a regular basis(Wing-Time Garlic, Hot and Super Hot).[p]Thanks,
    Win

• Suck Creek Wings
    Options
    amini1,[p]I have warmed our sauce up and marinted with it for a couple of hours and it turns out well, but like you said it "wastes" so much that I rarely do. [p]
  • BluesnBBQ,
    The best way to get marinade into the wing is to pull a vacume on the product. MFG use large tumblers to get moisture (marinade) into processed foods by way of a tumbler and vacume. During this process the muscle will open up and the marinade will be retained in the wing. I have never tried marination thru a food saver.
    Just a thought.
    Good Luck
    Doug

• Pop'nfresh
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    I'v got a hot wing recipe
    3pds of chiken wings
    6 whole serrano peppers
    10 whole jalapeno peppers
    1 red bell pepper
    1 small bottle of hot sauce (tabasco)
    1/2 bottle of Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup of sriracha hot pepper sauce
    1 tablespoon of sauce
    1 talbespoon of black pepper
    4 tablespoons of cayenne pepper
    1/2 cup of red wine vinegar
    1 bottle of beer
    put all ingredients in blender and puree, pour over wings and let sit over night. you can grill these or deep fry at 350

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    1 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup hot sauce
    1/4 cop Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 tbsp brown sugar[p]mix well and marinade wings overnight.
    grill over medium heat[direct].
    make another batch for basting during cook[p]Cheers, Glenn