Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Turkey Breast

Options
DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 361
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just took a 6 lb turkey breast out of the brine solution this morning. It lived in the refrigerator all day yesterday, and all night last night. I washed it, and lightly sprinkled John Henry's Jerk Chicken Rub over and under the skin. I plan to use Nipper's Turkey Breast recipe. I don't want to start cooking 'til about noon (about a 3 hour cook I think). So, it's back in the fridge for now, covered with plastic wrap. [p]My big worry is drying this bird out. The recipe calls for coating it with melted butter before placing it in the egg. Is that enough? Or should I keep basting frequently during the cook? Is there any advantage to butterflying it?[p]Any other tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• Dover_Gal
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    Yesterday, we cooked a small (trouble) whole breast with no brining (more trouble) indirect yesterday, no added moisture or butter (still more trouble.)[p]We foiled it after getting it up to 170 in the Egg (about 1 3/4hr). Right when I was foiling it to put in fridge, it was oozing much liquid, so I assume it will be terrific when I slice it cold. [p]The only thing we dried out on the Egg so far was a non-fatty flat brisket that should have been foiled for cooking.[p]I think it will not be dry, in short.

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    dover_gal,[p]Very encouraging. Thanks. Guess I'll proceed as planned.
  • DynaGreaseball,
    Cook indirect heat and pull off with meat @ 160, NOT 180 degrees....it'll be the juiciest turkey breast you ever had.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03718a.jpg
    <p />DynaGreaseball,[p]Sounds like a good plan for a Monday cook. My standard drill with turkey breasts, and I did this one in the top picture yesterday, is to brine also. 24 hours is a good time for starters. I have gone 36 on big ones. Resting in the fridge after rinsing is important because it allows the moisture and flavors drawn in to the meat from the brine to equalize within the breast.[p]During the rest I leave mine uncovered in order for the skin to dry. This helps the skin crisp up during the cook. I set up the Egg for indirect cooking with a pit temp of 325° or so. Before going on to the cooker, I lightly brush the skin with oil and apply some seasoning.[p]The 3 hour cook time is a good guess. I don't turn mine, I may re-position it once to balance the cooking. I will stick mine with a cable thermometer about 90 minutes into the cook to monitor the temp until it is finished. I pull it off as the internal passes 155°, then tent it. (The juices at the probe should run clear, but stick the probe back in so you don't loose moisture) The internal will rise another 8 or 10 degrees while resting. Here is how mine typically looks. I use some Tenderquick in my brine which gives the meat that slight pink color, trust me it is done, and very moist.[p]DSC02574a.jpg [p]Basting during the cook is not mandatory but it can improve or preserve the color of the skin, and if you put some oil into your basting liquid, this will help with the crispness. Basting really does not help brined meat as much as I think it helps non-brined meats.[p]Be sure and let your smoke settle down before putting the breast on and if you use a heavier wood like hickory or cherry, it will give the skin a darker color. [p]DSC02868a.jpg[p]This does not mean it is overcooking inside. And you can tent it with foil if it gets too dark. Just watch your thermometer and you will be fine.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Wow, that is beautiful food! I'll use my plate setter too. I noticed you didn't use a drip pan full of liquid. I don't think GreenEgg Dennis did either. I think I'll eliminate it from the plan. Sounds like juiciness is not a problem, especially with the success DoverGal had.[p]Thanks very very much for your help and the great pictures.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]You are welcome and thakns for the kind words. I start with a dry pan but sometimes add some liquid to the pan toward the end of the cook is the grease in there is splattering.[p]Using a cooking liquid in the pan is a personal choice and many folks really like it. If you do try it, be sure and heat it up before adding to the pan. It takes a lot of energy to heat cold liquids. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]OK, the breast has been in there about 15 minutes. You can already see that the hickory has started to darken the skin (short t-shirt). It's not as pretty as third eye's but it's on it's way.[p]DSCN2998.jpg[p]DSCN2997.jpg[p]Couldn't resist putting a picture of my brand new command center in there.[p]If all goes well, we eat good this afternoon around 4:00 pm. Wish me luck.[p]
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]Here it is at 90 minutes...[p]DSCN2999.jpg
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]Just as everyone said...
    Really moist. Not crazy about the taste of the skin, but the meat is the best I've ever had.[p]DSCN3000.jpg[p]Thanks everyone

• thirdeye
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]Way to go!! That looks really good.[p]If the flavor of the skin was off what you expected, you might have put 'er on before the smoke was ready to meet the meat. Or try a lighter wood like apple or alder.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~