Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Plateau

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm in the middle of smoking two 6.5 lb butts that I picked up at Costco last evening. (Love that place...also picked up an incredible-looking apple pie to serve with vanilla ice cream for dessert!) I threw them into the egg last night at 9:30 which means, at this point, they've been going for about 12 hours. The temp has held pretty steady between 200-225 for the duration. The internal temperature is now 150 in the larger of the two butts.
It seems to me that sometime last year one of you posted a graphic in which butt temperature was plotted against time. As I recall, the resulting curve, like most physiologic curves, resembled a flattened backwards "S," with a rather lengthy plateau time from 140-160. Does anybody remember this?
Realizing the total length of the cook is largely dependent upon the egg temperature, does anybody know where along that plateau I am right now--beginning, middle or end?
Thanks,
bd

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    bdavidson, a 6.5 pound butt with 12 hours under it`s belt is getting pretty near the end of it`s cook time, I would think you should be at the end of that plateau..[p]I realize that you have two butts the cooker but that should`nt matter.those butts should take not much more than 13 or so hours, 14 max...[p]you have proabably cooked more butts than I but I run mine at closer to 250º, it just seems to push the meat along at a more consistant pace without speeding it up...200º is a bit too cool for my liking..[p]enjoy, have you tryed any of the pork sauces from the Smoke and Spice book?[p]Mop

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I prefer to cook at 250*.

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I've only done a few butts (same as a pork shoulder, right?). I'm a brisket fan over here, but they seem to follow an almost identical path and I do them at 200 degrees throughout the cook and I've found that regardless of the size of the briasket, at that temp I am looking at 18 hours minimum (up to 20) for a 4.5# and 20-22 hours for a 12#. The shoulders that I have cooked have all been in the 8-9 # range and went just about 20 hours even to an internal temp of 195, they seem to be a bit more consistent than the brisket.[p]Sounds like you've already got the right idea, in the middle after 12 hours, so take your time and enjoy your day, those butt's will be ready when you are.[p]Peace and good Q.

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    JJ,
    250 for the entire cook...or end?
    WHat about jumping it up to 300 for the last hr or so?
    ST

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    250* for the entire cook. Kicking it up to 300* is a good way to speed up the cook if time is running short.

• Mop
    Options
    JJ, Thats how I do mine, I have done them at 200º and found them no better than at 250º....250º it is for me and if time is getting tight, up she goes to 300º...[p]mop
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]I'm a 250°F - 275°F dome temp guy for the entire cook. Most of the time the butts take between 18 to 20 hours to reach 190°F to 200°F internal temp.[p]Puj
  • Mop
    Options
    Puj, you must be cooking 8-10 pound butts are you?[p]Mop

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Mop,[p]Usually 6 to 8 lbs.
  • char buddy
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]I have a copy of that plateau chart post by Tim M (not sure which Tim). he said the plateau was in the 150 to 180 region and lasted 3 to 4 hours, but he did not give his cooking temps. You might find out more at Tim M's website.[p]

• char buddy
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]this is what you want.
    [ul][li]tim m's pork chart, etc[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mop,
    250 is nifty. Perfect.
    You talk to Qfan yet?? Curious to hear of his adventures at the JD.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    char buddy,
    heyyyyyyyyy...CHARBUDDY!!!!!!!!! How the hell are you man? Haven't heard from you since Eggfest 2001.
    By the way....don't mean to be so harsh, but your Eagles SUCK!!!!!!!!!
    JETS!!!!!!!!!!! RULE!!!!!!!!!!!
    ST

• Mop
    Options
    Nature Boy, nope, nothing yet, either they ran into a snag or he is just tuckered out...maybe both..LOL[p]take care[p]Mop

• char buddy
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,[p]Yeah we had a little problem today. Congrats to the Jets on a great win. [p]After the game I had a great jerk chix, but that did not take the pain away. [p]BTW - did you notice what the Redskins did to the Giants - ouch.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mop,
    I got an email from the Qfan. Sounds like a good time was had by all, and the team he was on took 13th overall of 49. Not bad considering that those at the JD are the best teams in the country.[p]Congrats in order for Qfan and the Swinefellows!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ