Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about blackened steaks

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love blackened steaks, but also am a well-done or at least medium-well kind of guy. Most blackened steaks I see here are pretty rare on the inside.[p]I just bought an iron skillet and want to try blackened steaks for the first time, but am unsure how to proceed. Do I grill them first to get them medium well and then put them in the skillet for the blackening process? If this isn't the right approach, what is?[p]I really appreciate any suggestions. I am new to my egg and have never blackened anything before. Thanks

Comments

• Hub,
    I am no expert (read rank beginner) but I would think you could follow the T-Rex method exactly and get the results you are looking for. It's the roast, or second part of the cooking that will determine how "done" the meat will be.[p]I have only done it once with rib-eye's but the result was spectacular! My buddy Larry kept saying over and over that it was without question the very best piece of beef he had ever eaten.[p]Good luck.[p]Jay

[ul][li]http://nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm[/ul]
  • Hub,
    I will second theuse of the T-Rex approach. You could also blacken the steak in an iron skillet on the egg instead of directly in the flame. In any case, use a temperature probe to constantly monitor internal temperature in the second phase. If you pull the meat at 135 degrees and let it rest for 10 minutes you will be close medium well. Be carefull not to leave the meat in too long as it will begin to dry out.[p]BTW, we like to sear or blaken the meat in an iron skillet so the drippings are reserved for making a sauce.
    Dave

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    100_0277.jpg
    <p />Hub, I blacken inside the fire ring using the spider and finish to donenesss above the felt rim, similar to a Chef searing on the cook top and finishing in the oven. [p]Here are a couple thoughts for you.[p]1. you need a hot fire, strong steak fire.
    2. you can get an idea how hot the pan is by (1) its color - the lighter gray it is, the hotter it is, or (2) beads of water, beads evaporate equals not a hot pan, beads dance equals hot pan;
    3. rubs, be somewhat careful on rub choice, some rub ingredients just don't do well when subjected to high heat, garlic can be become bitter when burned. no sugar in the rubs.
    4. careful with fatty cuts, if the pan is hot enough, the fat can render and catch fire....we've all seen the pictures...
    5. if possible, you want 2 to 1 surface area on pan to meat. So when you flip, you can flip the new meat side to a unused section of the pan.
    6. Smoke, expect some, no expect a lot. do it only outside.
    7. flashback, depending on your pan size and location, you need to be careful about flashing on this cook. Both from the top and out the bottom vent.
    8. sear to your liking. Remember, if you are new to this, it's like any other cook, pratice makes perfect.
    9. safety, I recommend long tongs, most hand protection - good for only seconds when holding a hot pan, have a plan ready in case you run into trouble. In an emergency, it might be best to just close the dome shut down the egg and let it cool down.
    10. remember to check the egg after dinner, hate to melt the gaskets together on the cool down.
    11. chance are whatever seasoning is on the pan will be burned off. After dinner while the egg cools, clean the pan and reoil, Pam, place it back in egg to reseason.
    12. when you flip the meat, then adjust your egg setting, close down damper and slider. so when you finish to doneness, the temp will be around 450-450 raised gird, at or above the felt line. (again, it's the oven finishing concept)
    12. do the searing with the dome open, it's too fast a cook to open and close continually, plus reduces the chance of a flashback.
    13. you don't need to overly burn the meat. Just a nice thin black char is good. While the meat rests, (remember resting after pulling) the meat will relax the the blackened surface should soften some. See below picture - we like 'em medium plus on doneness. [p]I'm sure there are more things I forgot but this should get you started. Don't forget steaks aren't the only thing to blacken. [p]Now back to my web stuff. T[p]100_0288.jpg[p]

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Hub,[p]Another method of cooking is basically a reverse TRex - that is, roast at a lower temp to a bit short of where you like things, pull the meat and let the temps go up high (or use your cast iron,) and then blacken at the end. Cooks Illustrated discussed this approach a few months back and noted that it also eliminated that thin layer of grayish meat just below the surface.
  • Hub,
    I find the “Hot tub” method works if you are looking for med, med well and well. If you get the internal temp. up to around 100 before starting the blackening process, the rest takes care of itself. Good luck.
    Popsicle

Willis Tx.