Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Replacement

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about replacing the gasket in my large egg. It's
crunchy for about half of its width, due to some run away high
temperature cooks, but it's still functional for the time being.[p]I see that I've got two options. First, I can just put on another
BGE felt gasket, or I can use a Rutland gasket. I've got a few
questions for the forum.[p]1) Why would I want to use one over the other. Is there a downside
to going with the Rutland gasket?[p]2) If I do go Rutland, what do I need?[p]thanks

Comments

• Kevin Nolish,
    Rutland is the only way to go! Check your email.

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    kat,
    What is a Rutland?

• bdavidson, It's a woven fiberglass gasket material 5/8" wide that replaces the wimpy felt gasket that gets fried. Since it is somewhat thicker there is no need to put it on both edges just the lower. A kit and glue runs about $8 at any big box home improvement stores located where stoves and fireplaces are common. (What I mean is I doubt Rutland products are carried in Miami...)

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    one feral kat,
    Sounds like a great product. I end up replacing my felt gasket around every 12-18 months or so...sooner for a lot of high heat cooks that get a little carried away. What we need is an asbestos gasket, huh? :-) Guess Rutland is the next best thing.

• bdavidson,
    considering the big bucks my employer has spent in the last 15 years on asbestos abatement in our buildings I don't think I want that kind of gasket on my BGE. The Rutland fiberglass is scary enough for me, but seeing I don't make it a habit to rub my food on the gasket I don't worry about the glass fibers. Besides I put that material on using my bare hands and felt no effects from direct contact. I'm going on my first year with Rutland and see no signs of wear and tear. I've heard a three year life can be easily expected so yes, you might keep Rutland in mind.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Kevin Nolish,[p]My personal opinionion is that many replace their gaskets long befor it is needed. Unless they leak - why bother? Mine was 3 yrs old when I decided to replace it only so I could better answer questions about ho wto do it. I made a webpage from the experience. Mine was almost all gone but still sealed and I could hold 225 deg easily. The link below takes you to my site where there are a few pics of the process. [p]I have 4 ceramic rascals and only have replaced the one gasket in over 3 years. If my new gasket lasts another 3 years I will be happy.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Replacing a gasket - by Tim M[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Kevin Nolish,[p]I totally fried my gasket in late '98 when experimenting with pizza. At this time the experimenting with alternative gasket materials was just starting and I decided to run with what I had created. Sure some smoke seeped out and vent adjustments changed a bit, but I was still able to reliably cook anything from long, low cooks (200-220°F) and everything up.[p]I did purchase two BGE replacement gaskets in 1999 (for the large and small). At the same time, I upgraded to the autolock band for the large Egg. With the autolock installation I was able to scrape the remaining charred gasket away and seat the dome directly on the body prior to tightening the hinge.[p]It still leaks a bit of smoke, but cooks just the same. The only real difference is that, without the gasket providing shock absorbing, you have the ability to bump the dome and body together quite soundly.[p]Spin