Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking for 60-Pork Shoulder or Pork Butt?

Options
TomCPA
TomCPA Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I am cooking next week for 60 people at our local Knights of Columbus hall. I'm doing pulled pork. I need some advice: do I go with pork (Boston) butts or pork picnic (shoulder)? I've never done shoulder, but I've heard many say it's very good for pulled pork as well.[p]I figure for 60 people, I need around 30 lbs of meat for the dinner. I am going to start Thursday to ensure it's ready for our Friday night dinner. This is my first time doing this type of dinner. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.[p]Tom

Comments

• Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    100_0347.jpg
    <p />TomCPA,
    I just did a cook of Pulled Pork for 72 people and I used Boston butt. To me the picnic to me has less meat for your dollar. I feel you get more meat out of it and you still have a bone for flavor. But this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions . Good luck and make if fun your cook. I had four butts and cooked them all at once, three on top grid and one on bottom grid with a drip pan under that.
    Pork Butt Mike MIA_logo-80x90.gif

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    TomCPA,[p]I agree that there is slightly better yield from a butt, however, I think the shoulder has slightly more flavor. How's that for no help? :) As PBM says, opinions.....[p]Dave[p]
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Pork Butt Mike,
    Freddy Kruger is back.Just finished cutting the grass and getting ready to take off for ten days of surf fishing.Have a great weekend.