Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

whole red snapper

eddy-turneddy-turn Posts: 36
edited 3:08PM in EggHead Forum
The more I cook on my egg, the more I'm asked to cook...[p]Latest is a whole red snapper.[p]Anyone with experience with eggin' whole fish, let me know what you've learned.[p]thanks,[p]eddy-turn

• bobbybbobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Here's one from Max's babe that is pretty good.
    Roasted Red Snapper with Rosemary
    4 Tbs olive oil
    1 whole (3-pound) red snapper, cleaned, scaled
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 lemon, halved
    1/2 small onion, chopped
    1/2 small fennel bulb, chopped
    2 sprigs fresh rosemary
    1 Tbs chopped fennel fronds
    1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    1 small garlic clove, minced
    1 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
    2 Line a heavy large baking sheet with foil.
    3 Oil the foil and fish with 1 tablespoon of oil. Place the fish atop the foil.
    4 Sprinkle the fish cavity with salt and pepper. Squeeze 1/2 of the lemon inside the fish cavity.
    Fill the cavity with the onion, fennel and rosemary sprigs.
    5 Bake until the fish is just cooked through at the bone, about 40 minutes.[p]Sauce
    1 Meanwhile, squeeze the remaining lemon 1/2 into a small bowl.
    2 Whisk in the fennel fronds, rosemary, and garlic. Gradually whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons of
    oil. Season the lemon sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.[p]Serving
    1 Using a sharp knife, separate the 2 fillets from the backbone.
    2 Using a metal spatula, transfer the top fillets to a plate.
    3 Lift the fish backbone from the bottom fillets (the backbone and head should come off together easily),
    and discard. Using the spatula, transfer the remaining fillets to plates.
    4 Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper. Drizzle the lemon sauce over the fish and serve.[p]Servings: 4
    Cooking time: 40 minutes
    Recipe Source
    Author: Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

• bobbyb,[p]I'd like to do it without the foil. Whatya think?[p]thanks for responding,[p]eddy-turn
  • bobbybbobbyb Posts: 1,349
    If you use a clean, oiled grate, just put it directly on the grate. That's what I do with most fish. Now that I have a LR fish spatula, life is good.