Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Ribs attempt

Hambone
Hambone Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help,
I need a Rib Recipe, I am having people over tomorrow and want to make some ribs. I have a medium how many racks can I do at once? How should I cook them?

Comments

• Hambone,
    I can't answer how to stack them in a medium, but I would plan on 1 rack a person. They are so good that they will eat more than you think. Usually 1/2 rack does my wife, but she finished a full one, and I could have eaten another half. I guess that's being a pig, but we only come this way once.

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Bob In Texas,[p]Check this site for ideas,
    [ul][li]CWM Ribs[/ul]
  • Bob In Texas,
    As far as recipies, cook times, cook temps, what do you suggest?
    Thanks!

• Hambone,
    I take the membrane off of the back, rub in a layer of french's mustard, rub in some dizzy dust regular rub, and put them on using the plate setter and put them in a rib rack and get the egg to 250-275 and shut the lid and forget about them for 3 hrs and at that point I like to spritz them with a half and half mixture of apple cider and Sam Adams Octoberfest beer. Do this every 20 minutes for the last hour. At four hours take them off and enjoy the best babybacks of your life.

• Hambone,I haven't tried any other recipes that the one Car Wash Mike has.
    His rib recipe was out of this world..... That's all I can recommend. He gives the detailed directions, cook time, and temps.

• mb168,
    That's the one I used. Mine looked just like the picture. It was great. Did you get all of his recipes?

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Hambone,[p]Can you get a rib rack fast? I have 2 mediums, and you can cook a lot of ribs on them if they are on edge. I've done 10 lbs at once on a single medium, altho' it was a tight fit[p]I have both a BGE v-rack and a generic stainless steel rack. After I place the rib sections (maybe 5 bones per slot) in them, I use bamboo skewers to knit them together so the sections stand up.[p]A 3-1-1 cook works well. 3 Hours in the rack at dome 250. Then 1 hour in foil pouches or a covered foil pan, with the ribs meat down in a semi-sweet fluid, like apple juice. Then a last 1 hour out of the foil/pan, getting them back to crisp, Brush on a little sauce before the end.[p]On 1 medium, I can make spare ribs for 5 this way. Often have left-overs.[p]gdenby
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Bob In Texas,[p]I read through them but I've only had the XL for a week and a half now and we've made ribs 3 times, with a few variants of that recipe. I think its hard to mess up in the egg.
  • Hambone,[p]I did my first ribs last weekend. Car Wash Mike and thirdeye have taught me all that I know! You would be wise to follow their advice.
  • Hambone,[p]Try it this way.
    [ul][li]Ribs the CWM way[/ul]
  • Mike in Abita, I've been doing ribs as long as I've been BBQing. My BBQ bible is "Smoke and Spice" by the Jamisons. Their advice for all barbeque is 220 degrees. I smoke my ribs at that temperature over direct heat and add soaked wood chips throughout the 3 1/2-4 hr. process. I think that 350 degrees is too high. The last time I did ribs on the egg they went too long and I couldn't get the temp much under 325 so they were very dry.....but very tasty. One great things about BBQ is that you are always learning.