Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket questions

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Lets get things back on track here......I picked up this cut of meat which is "Mash`s" anyway..the label says corned beef flat cut..well all the other packages I`ve seen that look similar are corned beef brisket, so I assumed this to be a brisket flat, it says corned beef on the label however there is no spices/pepper or whatever is normally on corned beef...this ting is just a hunk of meat.....so now my questions are this...do I cook it like all the other posts have stated for any brisket ( given this is just a flat )as in 225°-250° roughly 1 to 1.5 hrs./pound..I plan on rubbing and or marinading overnight prior to cooking and was figuring on some hickory chunks and Jack Daniels chips....any advice would be appreciated..[p]Wess

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    WessB,
    Wow. I am not sure exactly what you have, but if it is labelled "corned beef", I would think it has been soaked in a curing solution.[p]That aside, if you are sure it is just a hunk of meat, then 225-250 will be perfect. Hours/pound estimates are tricky with briskets. For example a 3 pound flat can easily take 10 hours (over 3 hours a pound), but a 10 pounder could be done in 18-20 hours (or under 2 hours a pound). How big is that baby??[p]If you really do have cured corned beef, hopefully others will chime in, as I have not done corned beef.[p]I could use a brisket soon!
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    WessB:[p]Regardless of your technique, you will enjoy the Jack Daniel's chips.

• WessB
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    It`s 3.1 # and if it`s cured in something it would have to be a brine of some sort...all thats in this package appears to be blood and the normal juices..again there is NO spices on this meat at all at least visible ones..LOL...I have no idea as I have never purchased or even seen an actual brisket before..not counting yours at Eggfest of course...but I was wondering if this is a brisket flat and given that its say 2" thick would it still be cooked like a "normal" brisket....Thanks Bud....BTW..Natty Bo can NOT hold up to Budweiser..LOL..just for the record.[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Man I tell ya what..the first time I opened that bag I thought I was sniffin a fifth of Jack..needless to say I keep it stored in an airtight container so it will stay that way...dems some good chips..Thanks..[p]Wess

• Nature Boy
    Options
    WessB,
    "but I was wondering if this is a brisket flat and given that its say 2" thick would it still be cooked like a "normal" brisket."[p]Yes! It will probably take wheresabout 10 hours at 225-250.[p]PBR, Natty Bo, Old Milwaukee can all hold up to Bud.
    None of those can hold up to Sierra Nevada or Guinness or Bass. LOL![p]Enjoy the brisket. When does it go on??
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • WessB
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    LOL..you and dem fancy beers...just give me my Crown and coke and I`m happy....anyway..will probly do this thing on Sun. morn as we wont be boating this weekend due to a party that some friends are having...if you wanna stop by feel free there will be plenty..[p]Wess

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    WessB,
    You are correct, it is a brisket flat thats been pickled in a simple salt solution. There's not many spices involved in the process so you won't see any on the meat (a heavily spiced brisket is a pastrami). The cryovac procedure draws a bit of blood out of the meat which mixes with the brining liquid and makes it look somewhat bloody, but it's fine, just drain it and rinse to get some of the salt off. [p]It's meant to be boiled and low and slow doesn't benefit corned beef much as it will never get real tender like BBQ brisket does. I get my best results in a roast pan over firebricks or a pizza stone at 350-400 with some of those little potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic cloves (don't slit and insert the garlic cloves, the salt will make it bitter) and a can of beer (Guinness if ya got it). Cook it up to 165-170 internal temp and serve with lots of mustard and horseradish sauce.[p] A good way to really draw out that Jack Daniels flavor is to soak the chips overnight in beer.[p]Good luck.

• WessB, and you chucked at diced butter , but can't see the difference between brisket and a cheap corned beef . what a hoot . reg

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    reg:[p]None, because they both melt?

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    JD chips in beer. Would those be called boiler-maker chips?

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • WessB
    Options
    reg,
    You dont really want to get this started all over again do you...as I stated HONESTLY...I have never seen a brisket before so therefore I went with what I thought it to be the other packages that are almost pepper coated looking are called corned beef brisket so am I totally wrong to think the one that doesn`t have all the pepper on it would be a "brisket"..and at $3.99/# it wasn`t the cheapest piece of meat in the counter..a little high for what I expected brisket would sell for and as far as the statement "I ( chucked ) at diced butter" from the others comments on here it would appear that many had never heard that phrase either..so lets just let that whole scenario die a peacful death....[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    I do believe it said something about boiling on the package..oh well...I`m gonna give it the low and slow treatment and see what happens..if it ends up in the trash, oh well..we just chock it up to experience..[p]Wess

• Citizen Q
    Options
    WessB,
    It's definitely edible after a low and slow but much drier if you take it all the way to 190 internal. Commercial corned beef is power brined and pumped up with the liquid to scale higher. Most of the natural moisture of the meat has been replaced with brine and almost all of that cooks off leaving the salt behind. That's why I roast, its done quicker and retains more moisture so it's a little less salty. Expect to lose over 60% to shrinkage. You said yours looks real bloody in the bag so thats a good thing, more of the natural juices have probably been retained.[p]Good luck, you'll enjoy it no matter what you do. Woebler's makes a tasty horseradish sauce that'll cover up the salt well, I find it at the Deli counter more often than the condiment aisle.

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You should give it a try, if you don't mind the splinters in your teeth from draining the chips.

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    reg,[p]At least you asked WessB directly rather than in the third person. LOL![p]On a side note, since I already have you on the line, I can't get an answer on another forum. What the heck does "FB" stand for? Email me if it is inappropriate to post -- I'd have asked via email, but I don't know your address. In fact, please don't post the answer here if it turns out to be offensive in any way.[p]BTW, are you the same reg that is on the Hi IQ barbeque competition team?[p]Brant
  • Brant, FB is something between cornfed and myself and i'd like to keep it that way . and yes to the comp team . reg

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    reg,[p]Fair enough. Sorry, curiosity got the best of me. Forget I asked.[p]Brant