Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In search of recipe for rack of lamb

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a really good recipe for rack of lamb to be cooked on the Egg?
Thanks.
Jerr

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Jerr,[p]you can't be nature boy's method for doing rack of lamb .. i've had it more than a few times and it is superb. ...[p]

[ul][li]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesLambChops.html[/ul]
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Jerr,[p]You can find a recipe on the Dizzy Pig website (see link below.) I use something very close to it and, in fact, did a half-rack last night on my medium Egg.[p]1. Trim off all the fat and exposed membrane - lamb fat on charcoal stinks - even if you bought it already frenched (although some high-end sources do a good job prior to purchase.)[p]2. season. I like a light dusting of DP Cowlick but have also used just salt and pepper and other seasonings. [p]3. cover the bones and thin parts with foil and press it down so it doesn't come off during the cook.[p]4. heat the egg to at least 600 dome with a nice hot fire below but don't go way up (I've tried above 900 and literally burned the bones away - not good.)[p]5. Sear the under side for at least 90 seconds (I rotate partway through to get nice grill marks) and then repeat on the other side. You might do it a bit longer if you want more crust, but not more than 3 minutes under any circumstances.[p]6. Remove from Egg, cover with foil, cool Egg down to 400-ish.[p]7. Put rack back on, under side down, for at maybe 4-5 minutes. I prefer using a raised grid for this part of the cook since a low grid is too close to the still-hot coals. Pull and check internal temp with your instant thermometer (I use a Thermopen and slide it from one end all the way through to the center - it nicely avoids the bones and false readings.) [p]8. Return rack with top side down and continue cooking until your internal temp is 125-130 to get nice medium rare. (After a ten minute rest the temp will have continued up to at least 135-140.) Obviously you can take it higher if you want but a rack is usually best not overcooked and you can always return it to the Egg if you find it too rare.[p]
    [ul][li]Dizzy Pig[/ul]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    P3050009.jpg
    <p />Jerr,[p]We do it often. Follow the recipe on the Dizzy Pig site. It's a winner![p]Smokey
    [ul][li]Seared and Roasted French Rack of Lamb (Lamb Lolipops)[/ul]
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, do you remove the membrane like some do with baby backs? Just reading the recipe made me hungry...and I just ate lunch!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    RJH,
    i've only ever brought rack of lamb already-frenched, so there is no membrane that i've ever peeled off ..

• CampCook
    Options
    Jerr,
    We also use the sear and cook method but with a variation. My wife makes up a soft paste of mint jelly, mint leaf, dijon mustard and garlic. I liberally coat the meaty parts of the rack with this paste after the sear while waiting for the egg temperature to drop. [p]Also, I always pull the rack off the heat when the internal temp hits 120 to 124. NEVER OVERCOOK THIS PIECE OF MEAT.[p] We always get rave reviews.
    Dave