Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

In search of recipe for rack of lamb

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a really good recipe for rack of lamb to be cooked on the Egg?
Thanks.
Jerr

Comments

• Jerr,[p]you can't be nature boy's method for doing rack of lamb .. i've had it more than a few times and it is superb. ...[p]

[ul][li]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesLambChops.html[/ul]
  • HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
    Jerr,[p]You can find a recipe on the Dizzy Pig website (see link below.) I use something very close to it and, in fact, did a half-rack last night on my medium Egg.[p]1. Trim off all the fat and exposed membrane - lamb fat on charcoal stinks - even if you bought it already frenched (although some high-end sources do a good job prior to purchase.)[p]2. season. I like a light dusting of DP Cowlick but have also used just salt and pepper and other seasonings. [p]3. cover the bones and thin parts with foil and press it down so it doesn't come off during the cook.[p]4. heat the egg to at least 600 dome with a nice hot fire below but don't go way up (I've tried above 900 and literally burned the bones away - not good.)[p]5. Sear the under side for at least 90 seconds (I rotate partway through to get nice grill marks) and then repeat on the other side. You might do it a bit longer if you want more crust, but not more than 3 minutes under any circumstances.[p]6. Remove from Egg, cover with foil, cool Egg down to 400-ish.[p]7. Put rack back on, under side down, for at maybe 4-5 minutes. I prefer using a raised grid for this part of the cook since a low grid is too close to the still-hot coals. Pull and check internal temp with your instant thermometer (I use a Thermopen and slide it from one end all the way through to the center - it nicely avoids the bones and false readings.) [p]8. Return rack with top side down and continue cooking until your internal temp is 125-130 to get nice medium rare. (After a ten minute rest the temp will have continued up to at least 135-140.) Obviously you can take it higher if you want but a rack is usually best not overcooked and you can always return it to the Egg if you find it too rare.[p]
    [ul][li]Dizzy Pig[/ul]
  • SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    P3050009.jpg
    <p />Jerr,[p]We do it often. Follow the recipe on the Dizzy Pig site. It's a winner![p]Smokey
    [ul][li]Seared and Roasted French Rack of Lamb (Lamb Lolipops)[/ul]
  • RJHRJH Posts: 128
    mad max beyond eggdome, do you remove the membrane like some do with baby backs? Just reading the recipe made me hungry...and I just ate lunch!

• RJH,
    i've only ever brought rack of lamb already-frenched, so there is no membrane that i've ever peeled off ..

• Jerr,
    We also use the sear and cook method but with a variation. My wife makes up a soft paste of mint jelly, mint leaf, dijon mustard and garlic. I liberally coat the meaty parts of the rack with this paste after the sear while waiting for the egg temperature to drop. [p]Also, I always pull the rack off the heat when the internal temp hits 120 to 124. NEVER OVERCOOK THIS PIECE OF MEAT.[p] We always get rave reviews.
    Dave