Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wanting an egg

kim
kim Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are alomost ready to buy a large egg. I am so excited. We are thinking about waiting to the Eggtoberfest in Atalant and buying one that was used that day. Has anyone else doen this? I am just nervous about how the pick-up will work. The web site explains that pickup can take a while. Is the egg practical to cook on during the week when time is an issue? Or is it more of a weekend cooking tool? Is it easy to use? Where is a good resource for a beginning egg user? We have never been to Eggtoberfest, so what should we expect. I am sure my husband and I will love it, but I do not know about our 3 kids. Thank you -- Excited Kim

Comments

• Kim,
    I just bought my first egg last week and wasn't sure what to expect. So far results have been VERY positive! In regards to using the egg during the week I can tell you that it is very practical. As many have commented on this forum, the lump charcoal is ready in about 10-12 minutes using the BGE fire-lites. I haven't looked at the CD but have had very good success with the dishes I have prepared. I think it is reletively straight forward if you have cooked with any basic kettle/charcoal unit; very simply, controlling the airflow through the grill controls the temprature. If you go to the eggfest, ask someone to give you a demonstration and some tips. I'm sure I still have some things to learn but the basic principals are easy.

• Kim,
    I have three kids and there are no issues. They are now getting old enough that my son (11) can start the Egg and both my son and daughter (14) will start to cook on it. If nothing else, everything is ready for me to cook when I get home.[p]There was a point in time when my daughter would only eat meat if I cooked it on the egg.[p]On second thought, you may have to cook more because they will eat more.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Kim,[p]Just go out and buy your Egg. We got ours and have no regrets. Read the instructions ( cook book )or watch the dvd, it is all very simple. Watch this forum and you will get excellent advice from your new Egg Family.
    Bon Appet
    Willie[p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p]

• Kim,
    We did buy our egg for a slight sale at an opening of a hearth store, but it is a small.[p]Waiting for the fest is nice--you will be happy with the saving. But overall, the Egg is so useful, over time the "price per use" will even offset the retail full price.[p]One saving we found is that we don't feel tempted to go out much except for REAL reasons. We also cook on weekends to make sure we have dinners for the week (we both work) and even firing it up for burger or steak or chicken breasts is very fast and there is little cleanup.[p]In short, this is a very useful addition to our kitchen and I'm sure you will also find it so.

• kim
    dover_gal,
    Did you buy yours at a fest? I just wonder if the hassle of waiting in line after the fest is worth the savings? I am so glad to hear that it is easy to use. I was afraid I would get it and then it be too much trouble to use.
    Thank you!

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Kim,
    The pick up absolutely can be a pain in Atlanta.....but well worth it..If you check out the picture posted below in the "locating picture" or something like that, thread....ALL of those eggs were pre sold at Eggtoberfest...thats a lot of anxious people trying to drive in and pick up eggs all at the same time....You will have no regrets..just do it...You can check out my website for some helpful tips and cooks..and be sure to check out the Naked Whiz`s website.....also...WATCH the dvd that comes with your new egg...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    WessB,
    i'm with you.. i bought a small to complement my large i waited in line but it is not bad. i mean if you have a radio in your car the only problem you may run into is after seeing all the people cooking you might be a little over ready to get ithome and start trying your own dishes..[p]
    happy egg waiting[p]tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• kim
    WessB,
    Thank you for the advice. Where is the pictureyou are referring to? I do not see a thread you are talking about.

• WessB
    DSC00093.JPG
    <p />Kim,
    This is the one I took in the BGE warehouse...the day before Eggtoberfest..[p]Wess

• Kim,
    We bought our egg (coincidentally) the week before a fest, but actually the Fest had few smalls so that wasn't a big issue. If you intend to get a large, it's worth a wait, but the egg is very very very easy to use. Much easier than a Weber charcoal grill (because you can control the temperature with a flick of the finger on the damper) and easier than gas as it does so much more and tastes better. [p]We are new-eggs but totally enthralled. Best grill ever, we say.

• kim
    WessB,
    I figured out that you were talking about your web-site. I love all the pictures.

• What is the price of the Eggfest egg and what do you get with it? I just bought a large with a plate setter, folding raised grid, daisy wheel and a bag of wicked good charcoal for $599 from a dealer in the Atlanta area. You can also get a large with nest and mates and charcoal for the same price. If you are in Atlanta area, I'd consider this deal and avoid the hassle of picking one up at the fest. Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you the details.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Chilehed,[p]Hoping you'll take this in a positive way . . .[p]One of those things you might want to learn is to NOT start cooking in ten or twelve minutes when using the starter cubes. They are made of sawdust and paraffin and like any petroleum-based starter can leave residue that needs to burn off or else you can get off-flavors on your food. I think you'll be happier allowing for twice that amount of time before doing any cooking.
  • WessB
    Just Plain Mike,
    "The hassle of picking up at the fest" as you mention it also includes spending the whole day meeting and learning from a couple thousand other eggers or future eggers...not to mention an awesome catered meet and greet.....way more than a belly full of some of the finest food you will ever eat, and the friendships kindled at an Eggfest live on forever...all of this and plenty more gets you a large egg w/nest, grill gripper, fire starter, ash tool, and a bag of lump...all for $589.95...to me it`s a no brainer, but I do tend to enjoy the fests immensley...[p]Wess

• WessB,
    Can you really put a price on, "hands on learning". He waits an hour and learns more in one day than he would in a year in the forum.[p]Mike

• Kim,[p]I recently purchased a "Demo EGG" from a local vendor and will pick it up Saturday at the PNW Evergreen Eggfest. I also get to cook on it during the event. It is about a 300.00 savings overall. There will be people available to help load it up if you need them. I'm bringing my wife and a strong friend! LOL![p]JD

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • WessB,[p]Didn't see anything in my post that said he/she still couldn't go the the fest and do everything you suggest. I only offered an alternative to standing in line with 200 other people. I really don't care as long as someone gets an egg.
  • WessB
    Just Plain Mike,
    that would be another $50/couple to attend, totally offsetting any savings...my reply was not meant to be cofrontational...merely stating the fact of the essence of what a fest is all about...the price savings on the egg purchase is just a bonus to the fest itself....hell it`s gonna cost us a close to a grand just to attend the fest without buying an egg...No need to get testy bout it...it`s all good[p]Wess

• kim
    Just Plain Mike,
    Thank you for the info. I would live the dealer contact info. We live N of Atlanta. I plan to go to Efftoberfest for the wealth of knowledge and hands on learning. I am just trying to decided where to get my egg from. Thanks

• Kim,
    I bought my large at last years Eggtober Fest. I did have to wait for about an hour before I could get in and pick it up. How soon you get in line will determine your wait.They have a policeman directing traffic in an out of the mother ship which helps keep things in an orderly manner. If you wait until Oct the wait and the price are well worth it.

• Car Wash Mike,[p]And, a few days on the forum is worth a year trying to figure things out of your own.[p]~ Best[p]~ Broc[p]
  • kim
    JC in GA,
    Did you get in line at 5 or earlier? I figure my husband can get in line for the egg while the kids and I keep walkig around the fest.

• Kim,[p]I tried to send you the detail but the email was returned. I sent it to the following email address[p]kimmie@bellsouth.net[p]drop me am email or add me to your approved list and I'll try to resend.
  • Haggis,
    Thanks. I did notice the blackish smoke for a few minutes after I lit them and waited until all of the lump was aglow, then closed the lid for a few minutes before putting on any food.
    Is there a better way to start an egg or do you use the starter cubes as well?

• chilehed,
    I have problems with hydrocarbons used in grilling, so we have an inexpensive charcoal starter, one we had before we even had the Egg. A simple loop and cord, plugs in to the outdoor outlet. Works in minutes.

• Just Plain Mike,[p]Mike please check your email. I have sent you an email requesting the dealer information for Atl.[p]Thanks,
    W

• dover_gal,[p]Thanks, I'll give it a try.