Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which ceramic BBQ should I get?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anybody help?[p]I want to get my husband a ceramic BBQ for his birthday. While researching the purchase for a Large BGE I saw that there a many others. I would like to make an informed decision. Can you help?[p]Round vs oval? If you would buy 1 BBQ today what would it be?[p]Thank you[p]Roberta

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,763
    Options
    Roberta,
    most here and over there have more than one, i would start with a large and add one later, either a small or a second large depending on the crowd. the small uses very little lump and makes a great second egg for smaller cooks and comes in handy when cooking a side dish at a different temp than the main dish. bge backs their products extremely well, recently i had a problem with the spring band on one of my older eggs and posted here for maybe a way to fix it, i got an email stating a new one was on the way, i wasnt even asking for warrantee service.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Like he said BGE is service is absolutely top notch.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Roberta, Forum rules prohibit comparison of ceramic grills. If you include your eMail address however, some people may write with their personal opinions.[p]That said, however, you will not go wrong with a Big Green Egg. With four sizes to choose from and a full assortment of EGGcessories, you can create a setup to satisfy any outdoor cooking need. You can smoke (low temp), grill (mid temp) or sear (high temp) with a single cooker. Big Green Egg also offers great customer service with numerous locations around the US and now in Europe, In addition, the local EGGfests provide a way of experiencing new ideas for cooking and meeting some very neat people.[p]Here's hoping that whatever your decision, you (and your husband) will continue to monitor and enjoy the EGGhead forum.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Wise One,
    FOUR sizes!!?? :-).

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    egret, mini, small, medium, large and X-large. 1,2,3,4 ...errrhhhh 5

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Roberta,[p]Lessee. You are posting this on the Big Green Egg forum. I think maaayyybe your expectations of the info you want are a tad unrealistic! I mean, I can't expect anyone here to blurt out "I would go with brand x...I hate the damned egg." [p]Good luck in your search.[p]mShark-the-cranky
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]That's what I was thinking, you don't ask crack addicts what drug to use.... :)
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Roberta,[p]I would think that someone buying their first ceramic would at least go do some serious research without resorting to going on a specific forum and asking "Will this one work . . .?[p]The ones you are looking at ar BOTH excellent products and in each case the forum you asked the question on gave you the answer that was appropriate.[p]My advice, lurk and read. The answers are all there you just have to find them and make your own decision. This forum is a great place to visit as is the other forum. When you get right down to the bottom line, no one I know can tell whether the food was cooked on this one or that one. [p]I hope I haven't ruffled any feathers but it always comes down to Ford VS Chevy and people have to make their own buying decisions.
  • bw
    bw Posts: 87
    Options
    Roberta,[p]We've had our LG BGE for almost 2yrs now and I can say there is no turning back to propane. The BGE is the way to go and food that is cooked/smoked on it is just so unbelieveably awesome, you will have the moistes chicken and most tender steaks you have ever had and not to mention the best ribs, pork butts, pizza anything you put on the BGE is going to be better than on a regular charcoal or propane. GET THE BGE!! No regrets![p]bw
  • Roberta,
    We got our large egg about 2-3 months ago. I looked at some of the other cookers as well, but this active forum of helpful folks and the great service and support from BGE made it a no brainer.[p]All the helpful tips and interesting recipes and ideas that people post here make our eggsperience 10 times better than it would have been otherwise.

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    Roberta,[p]I think the incredible support from both the company and this forum makes your decision a simple one. I have 2 BGE's and couldn't be happier...[p]Ryan
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    Roberta, I know of one other on this list using a Chinese "knock off" of the BGE. When I asked that individual, she told me that even though her "Egg" was less expensive, I should buy an original BGE. She based this on BGE service and results she has experienced here on the forum. I have had my egg for a little over a month now and could not be happier. We have probably cooked out on it 75% of the time. It's easy to use, holds it's temperature and is fuel-efficient. I purchased a Large Egg and have cooked for 14 people on it at one time. I honestly do not think you can go wrong by purchasing one.
    Mike in Round Rock, Texas

• Whitetail
    Options
    Roberta,
    I think it’s a fair question for the forum. It is like Ford vs Chevy and I would have no problem asking a Chevy dealer why they thought their product was better than a Ford. You do not have to disparage one to praise the other. [p]I have no experience with the others so I can not comment based on first hand knowledge. I bought an Egg because friends had them and raved about them. Every time I talk to someone unfamiliar with the product I have to throw in the disclaimer that I do not work for BGE because I sound like a salesman for them…it’s that good.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Roberta,
    If "family" means anything I believe my post supporting the BGE is the 14th one so far vs. 3 responses you received over "there". There's a lot more of us eggheads in the world than them...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    Roberta,
    I would get The Big Red Herring!

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Roberta,
    Go with the large BGE, period. If your husband likes to cook, he'll thank you for years to come. I have my egg for over 2 years now, and have absolutely no regrets. You won't be sorry.
    Mike

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Roberta,[p]Here's an opinion from someone who has owned both BGE and the "P" and who has experienced customer service from both. It's a no brainer. Don't waste your money getting anything other than a Big Green Egg. BGE's customer service is matched by no one and they will take care of you. Plus you have the added benefit of the folks here on this board to help you whenever you need it. Add to that the fun of all the Eggfests springing up all over the country and it just can't be beat![p]Don't hesitate. Get a BGE and don't look back. You WON'T regret it.[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]BTW, our cooking arsenal has grown over the years and now includes 2 larges, 1 medium and 1 small BGE. We LOVE them all!

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    RoosterEgg.jpg
    <p />Roberta,[p]All ceramics will cook great food. I would suggest looking at the reliability of the company, the quality of the cooker itself, the history of customer service and very important.... the warranty![p]The egg is glazed. The egg is eggceptionally well-made. The egg has a lifetime warranty.... and it's Cockzilla endorsed![p]Good luck with your decision.[p]john

• Just Plain Mike
    Options
    Roberta,[p]They are all great products. I've got a Grill Dome and TK provides excellent support for his product. I've also got a large big green egg and they also provide excellent support. In the end, BGE seems to be better at marketing its product (thanks to this forum too), and therefore I believe that gives BGE the better chance of being around for the long haul. If something happened to TK tommorow, I'd be concerned about Grill Dome's future viability which poses cause for concern if warranty issues were to arise. I don't have any experience with Primo. I am sure it is a fine product too. The BGE forum is extremely active and if it were me I'd probably buy a BGE due to the reasons I've laid out. I would not hesitate to buy a Grill Dome either except for my concern about TK's ability to be here for the long haul. IMHO Grill Dome needs some marketing assistance to compete with BGE and may need a plan to compete when TK is gone.

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    mb168,[p]maybe she is comparing to see how many responses she gets on here vx the other other forum, like someone else pointed out.
  • JD McGee
    Options
    Roberta,[p]I was struggling with that very same decision a few weeks ago. I ended up going with the BGE based on the support and reviews from this forum and other forums. I pick mine up Saturday! :)[p]JD

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Roberta,[p]What they said...

• Jeeves
    Options
    Ask you can see, you are getting bombarded with responses. Of course, everyone here is going to suggest BGE.[p]It al boils down to what YOU believe is best for your need and what your budget is and what your heart tells you... :)[p]I researched that tall thing that is made overseas and comes in all sorts of colors and is covered with CTile. I researched the dome thing.[p]I could not find a local dealer for that tall thing and it seemed like there wasn't much support for it.[p]Same for the 'dome shaped thing.[p]Hands done, neither of the above had the 'following', events, recognition, recipes, and 'BBQ competitions' in which the winner used a BGE.[p]Once you've decided on the Egg, especially after reading everything, it will be like your first car - you can't wait to get it![p]Here are a couple urls to tease you:[p] [p]
    -Jeeves
    [/b]
  • Texas Toad
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    I bouught my first BGE in June on fathers day and iam picking up my smallBGE egg at the EGGfestin Atlanta next month

• mollyshark
    Options
    Jeeves,[p]Of course that makes no sense. Like each response is worth 1 points and that makes 9 points for bge and 7 points for kamado and 11 points for weber and 2 points for that pos from japan. Whatever floats it, as they say.[p]mShark
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I'm glad you included a pic so no one got the wrong impression of "Cockzilla"!!!! :)[p]All the best,
    Jim[p]P.S. Dialed your number a couple o' times, but you weren't there. I'll hook up with ya' soon!!!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    mollyshark,
    I was the one who started that observation this morning early on to establish my point of family and depth that eggers have vs. the other board. It wasn't for accumulating scores - just that at that time there were 14 responses already here vs. 3 over there. Now at this time there have been 7 posts over there by 5 people vs. 27 posts here by 24 people. I still say family size and depth is a valid reason to selct the BGE.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mollyshark
    Options
    RRP,[p]That's true. If you have 10 people in the family and they are all tall, you will need an XL to fit all of them in at the same time.[p]Is this helpful?[p]M(snort)Shark
  • Jeeves
    Options
    box_smoker.gif
    <p />mollyshark,[p]Maybe Alton's smoker is the answer?[p]I am so lost and I don't know how serious people are being, so it's time to change the channel and watch the brisket on youtube..[p]-jeebers me timbers

[ul][li]Youtube Brisket[/ul]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Jim! I'm sorry I missed you. Please give me another call... I'd love to catch up with you. I hope all is well in God's country![p]john[p]